TN: EdmundsStJohn Mourv '88..(short/boring)

Continuing my foray into this case of EdStJ last night:

1. EdmundsStJohn Mourvedre Calif (Mataro; 12 1/2%) Emeryville 1988: Med.dark murky/brown color; quite pencilly/smokey/oldRed metallic/earthy/dusty slight herbal/mushroomy complex interesting bit tired nose; soft quite cedary/pencilly/oldRed bit toasty/roasted rather tangy/metallic some dried-out complex flavor w/ light bit dried-out tannins; very long some metallic/tangy/dried-out quite cedary/pencilly/oldRed bit smokey/earthy/mushroomy/oldRhone complex finish w/ light smooth tannins; interesting oldRed in a bit of a Rhonish way; still hanging in there and offering up some pleasure in sort of a necrophilic way. $12.00 (SWC)

And a wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Another EdStJ that’s still hanging in there. Liked slightly better than Port O’Call. Maybe has Brandlin grapes in it??
    This wine was made after Steve left his first CamilliaSt digs and moved out back of the Oaks Card Shop. This is where I first met Steve & was struck by how such a young guy could make such good wines. Now I’m struck by how such an old guy can make such good wines!! :slight_smile:
    Tom
1 Like

I think it was still from Mt. Veeder fruit at that point. Where was Brandlin? I think Steve said the vines were grafted over to merlot.

Man, some of Steve’s early mataros were good!

According to Steve:

Brandlin was on MtVeeder just down below Lagier-Meredith. When Cuvaison bought the property, they did graft over the Mourv
to Merlot. Chester kept a small plot of Zin around his home that PeterFranus takes.
Tom

Thanks for the details. I remember Steve’s first couple of mourvedres – 1986 was one, as I recall. They were stupendous. I saw him a couple of years ago and asked him about those and he told me of his anguish with the vineyard was sold and the vines grafted over.

In a similar vein, I heard him speak at a conference at Davis in the early 90s describing how he’d run around trying to track down growers with Rhone varietals in the 80s, based on the state records of grape types. He said that on more than one occasion, he found the owner only to be told that some ancient syrah or mataro had just been grafted to chardonnay or cab or merlot.

Thanks for the notes, Tom!!!

http://www.paulmarcuswines.com/archived-newsletters/may-2003focus-on-california-edmunds-st-john-chads-california-wine-country-adventure-a-guided-wine-tasting-plus-paul-m-in-france

Thanks for that link, Drew. Very interesting article. I even learned some new stuff about Steve.
Tom

I am trying to collect a few interviews from Mourvedre growers/winemakers on Mt Veeder for the “Mourvedre Appreciation Social Club” Facebook page. Of course, aside from Peter Franus 2005 Brandlin Vineyard Mourvedre and Wertzberger 2011 Mt Veeder Mourvedre, all wineries are using the scant plantings in Rhône-style red blends.
MORE-11-e1395446232251.jpg