TN: Some wines with Pizza

SOME WINES WITH PIZZA - Il Forno and back to Sashi and Sharon’s (5/2/2016)

This past weekend, my wife and I joined two other couples at a small Italian restaurant that specializes in Neapolitan styled pizzas in a very hot brick oven. They don’t have a liquor license so BYO is allowed there. The wines were consumed casually, at ones own pace. Once we finished dinner, we went back to one of the couples house and played Scattegories while finishing the back up bottles. Very casual.

• 2015 Château d’Or et de Gueules Costières-de-Nîmes Les Cimels - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Costières-de-Nîmes
    I enjoyed this. Pale salmon in color. The nose has wisps of watermelon and rhubarb. On the palate, light body. Lots of vibrancy. Fresh. No bitterness. More strawberry like in fruit. Good acidity. Went well with salads. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Bedrock Wine Co. Mourvedre Ode to Lulu Old Vine Rosé - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley
    Others liked this more I think. I have come to the conclusion that all rose’s taste better in the first year. I am sure there are exceptions, but drinking this, it seemed like all the pieces parts were there, but it lacked that tension and vibrancy that I like in younger rose wines. After drinking a while bunch from all over the world at Hospice du Rhone, I am convinced. YMMV. A deeper but translucent ruby orange in color. The nose has lots of watermelon and some cherries. On the palate, nice body. Thinner cherry fruit. Slight bitter turn on the finish. Seems more serious in nature. (87 pts.)
  • 2012 Peay Vineyards Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Light golden in color. The nose has pear with vanilla and a bit of lemon chiffon. Nice full texture. Good acidity. A bit of minerality but a lot of fruit with some oak as well on the palate. Good finish. Went well with food.
  • 2006 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    This was pop and pour and really needs some air at this point. It was only on the last pour that I felt the nose started to open and the palate never really offered up what I think it could have. It was still quite good, but there it is. Ruby purple in color. The nose has cherries with some licorice. With air a slight earthiness opens. On the palate, cherries and dark cherries. Good acidity. Worked well with oven fired pizzas. Quite feminine in nature. (90 pts.)
  • 2002 Turkey Flat Shiraz - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Wow. Gorgeous showing. I had this about 5 years ago and it was not close to this. Mature and peaking but still vibrant and delicious. Ruby/purple in color. The nose is great. Earthy, black raspberries, black pepper, slight roasted herbs. On the palate, this is not a monster. Black raspberries intertwined with damp earthiness and black pepper. Nice balance. Good acidity. Very food friendly. Long finish. Just a beautiful wine. (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Colle Acre Eloro Thyonianus - Italy, Sicily, Eloro
    Nice showing. Ruby in color. The nose has cherries and smoke. Is it the Sicilian volcanic soils or smoke taint from the volcano? Not problematic but noticeable. On the palate, medium bodied. Pinot-esque Cherries, slight earthiness. Good acidity. Very food friendly. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Very tight. Needs some air. Purple in color. The nose has a deep earthiness to it. Also some black cherries. Good acidity.On the palate, medium tannins. Earthy dark cherries. The bottle went quickly with six of us, but it kept opening in the glass. I would give it a year or some air before serving. (91 pts.)
  • 2004 Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    According to CT, this was last bottle from over a case of these. What a great value! No hurry though, it is at peak but certainly has time left. Ruby/purple in color. The nose has cherries and a minerally/tar note. On the palate, good acidity. Vibrant cherry fruit. Showing some layering as well. Tannins are mostly resolved. A delicious wine. (90 pts.)
  • 2004 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG
    Drinking quite well at this point. No hurry but I am not sure it gets better. Ruby in color. The nose has cherries, dried cherries and tea leaves. On the palate, juicy acidity. Fresh cherry fruit. A slight forest floor note. Good finish. At $26 Ohio on release, there is such good value in better Chianti’s. This may not be one of the best, but it is a very good one. (89 pts.)

It was a very fun night. Nice to be able to open some not crazy expensive wines and get a lot of enjoyment out of them.
Posted from CellarTracker