Two 2014 Carlisles: Papa's and the beautiful Palisades Petite

I got these both open this weekend, to see what was under the cork. Both are terrific, the Palisades is fantastic. Between Mending Walll and Mike’s version of Palisades, these are wines that make me stand up and notice. No, no, they are not going to drink with subtlety or lithe red flavors…it’s Petite! And by god, it drinks like petite. For those of you who may want to add a few more of these to your cellar or backfill, there are some available at Wine Exchange, which I was able to grab a few more tonight. Yes, the Papa’s is good, but the Palisades, oy. Thanks for reading.

• 2014 Carlisle Petite Sirah Palisades Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/30/2016)
    First one of these I have opened. High hopes here, as I thought the 2013 was just pure, a real joy (along with the Mending Wall version of this vineyard of the same vintage). Opened about 15 mins ago, serving at 67f. Colored dark, and it stains the stem pretty well, which is one of the things I like about petite and this vineyard, as it throws lots of color (the 2013 Carlisle and Mending Wall had this same staining quality). Texturally, I’d say medium plus weight at this point, with a fair amount of tannin holding the wine together. A pure, dark blueberry fruit, with balancing acidity and a little closed up as one would expect…now to the following day, drinking right now without any complement of food, nor other competing wine so it’s the closest frame I can make to really think about the wine in a single sense. The dark color is evident today, has that neon purple hue that stains the glass. Man, this wine is just stacked with density, fruit and color, like the 2013. Powdery tannin, chalk, iron, blackberry, a molten quality with a brushing of dark chocolate that rolls through the finish. Yet, it’s not smothering in tone, nor boozy or over-done. Yes, yes, this will not be for the fragile palate (which I admittedly have, as I do like cool climate syrah, pinot, sec Chenin, etc), but when I want to experience the darkness of flavor, this is the kind of wine I want in my glass. One can see the ink, feel the intensity and through it, know that the wine is alive, I am alive! It finishes balanced, with a tarry, molten quality, really delicious. So, when to drink? Some are going to say, “wait 10 years, or open in 2028” or some other remark of the sort. Sure, you can do that, or like me, you can appreciate what is here, maybe find a few more (as I will) and then just enjoy the intensity that is here now and what will soften in 3-5 years, I presume, But, do not be told you cannot drink this now. You can, I did and it was worth the ride.
  • 2014 Carlisle Syrah Papa’s Block - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/30/2016)
    One thing about Mike’s syrahs, they have a satisfaction factor that I appreciate. When I open one, I know what to expect, especially with Papa’s Block: texture, aromatics, intensity, color. These are not subtle syrahs, aside from say a lighter year like 2011. This 2014 is not 2011, for sure. It’s stuffed with bacon fat/white flower and garrigue aromatic, followed by fluffy blackberry, light chocolate and intensity of flavor. I polished off 1/2 the bottle last night, with the other 1/2 going to dinner tonight. In advance, a few ounces now for a retaste, enjoying at room temp (67f). The cracked spice notes of the whole cluster are more present today, with the white flower/bacon note a little softer. The texture is completely fleshed out IMO, showing a good lift of acidity that balances out the darker fruit. Licorice and a nice rosemary note supports the palate flavor, adding a savory quality. I like this better today than yesterday, as the baby fat plushness has backed off and the whole cluster attributes and zing are more in charge. Really good Papa’s. As to a drink window, this drinks fine to me. Sure, there is a zing of acidity here still quite present but I’d rather enjoy that vividness, and without to me a lot of tannin floating around here, I’d say give one a try if you have a couple.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Nice FMIII,

I think Palisdes may be the best petite vineyard in the world.

I’m willing to be corrected.

1 Like

As always Frank, thank you very much for the amazing notes. Always appreciate the “feeling” evoked from your writing style. Difficult thing to do (especially with tasting notes) and you do it incredibly well.

Love hearing the glowing review on the 14 palisades, as I bought a few of them in that last allocation…which I probably did partly because of your kick-ass feedback on the 13 (pretty sure you said it was your #1 PS ever at the time, with the mending wall right behind it).

Keep the notes coming Frank - always very much enjoy them!

Thanks for the notes, Frank! Carlisle is always a great wine, and I appreciate your frankness about drinking these reds young! :slight_smile:

Bodes well for the 14 Once & Future Palisades PS

1 Like

Thank you for these amazing notes, Frank. Loved reading them, and I own both wines and appreciate your perspective.

Ditto!!

Thanks Frank! Papa’s is my favorite Carlisle syrah. My PS’s are resting- but might have to try one.

Every wine should have it’s own theme song

1 Like

There are some great winemakers taking fruit from Palisades. Robert Biale and Mending Wall (TRB) are also making fantastic Petite from this vineyard.

Palisades offline?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Gallo buy half of the Palisade Vineyard recently? Is this the property owned by…shoot! Can’t remember.

Gallo did buy a piece of Palisades along with some adjacent property.

Any idea what they would be putting that fruit into within their portfolio of wines?

Uncorked a 14 Papa’s today and the nose is beautiful: blue fruits, redolent cured meats, whiffs of smoke.

Mid palate sort of just flat/meh. Awkward stage?

2 Likes

Brought a 15 Papa’s home from the off site. Figure I will try it later in the year.

I agree with you 100%

Glenn, you will be harshly admonished by some WB internal monitor for bringing up a topic that is 7 years old. Your audacity, I mean really…

The real question is…what would you think of that PS now Frank?? :cheers:

I was always taught never ask a question to which you already know the answer. :laughing:

Wine is much better on night 2. Fruit has left the nose but wine has gained heft and flavor.

Still, far from my favorite Papa’s.

1 Like