TNs: Turkish wines

For the past week I’ve been travelling through the (mostly) lesser known areas of Turkey looking for interesting archaeological sites. 14-18h work days were occasionally made more relaxing by sharing the odd bottle of wine.

First up was a cheap little white, Kavaklıdere Angora 2015, from the Sultaniye grape and grown in the Denizli region. Sultana is not a grand grape by any means but it is a clean, refreshing drop. Not something you would spit out after hard day walking through mountainous terrain.

The next day we had another wine from the biggest producer in Turkey, Kavaklıdere Ancyra Kalecik karası 2014, this time just with another spelling of the capital’s name. Kalecik karası is a fascinating grape: not so heavy as many others grown here, high in acidity, making a range of styles from light Gamay-like wines to something more substantial and meaty. This was a decent but not really exciting version of the grape: sweet fruit, on the bigger end of the Kalecik karası spectrum but still with wonderfully refreshing structure. Nice, but there are so many other better producers making more exciting wines in Turkey.

In Cappadocia we of course tried the local produce. We simply did not have time to visit any wineries but Kocabağ was easy to find in local shops and restaurants. The producer is based in Üçhisar near the touristy town of Göreme. We tried two wines from them: the Öküzgözü 2013 and the Boğazkere 2014. I liked both. The Öküzgözü was a big, ripe almost Shirazy wine but with good, refreshing tannins. The Boğazkere was a lighter wine and more to my taste for being so: if any comparison can be made to well known grapes this would be Pinot to the Ökü’s Shiraz. But both were fun wines.

From Cappadocia we took a bottle of Turasan Narince 2014 with us since we would stay the night at Konya, Turkey’s most conservative city where wine is not easy to come by. I was sure it would be corked since we had such phenomenally bad luck that day. The first setback was that we did several Byzantine sites in remote places and were running late so didn’t have time for the neolithic Çatalhöyük. Then we nearly ran out of gas and only just made it to a petrol station. There they put the wrong type of petrol in our car so we stalled 20km outside of Konya. Finally we got that sorted out and we got to town and everything but a single kebab place was closed so we bought some to take to the hotel. At the hotel we find out that the key didn’t work and that the kebab place had given us something completely different than what we ordered. But anyway, only 5h later than we thought, we were in Konya, finally got into our rooms, had a bit of food we didn’t want but ate anyway because we could not get anything else. And amazingly the wine wasn’t corked. It was warm and we only had water glasses to drink it out of but it was nice. Peachy & mineral; full body, not terribly acidic but somehow, even when warm, was refreshing. The night’s ordeal might have something to do with that, however.

Now back in civilization in Istanbul, tonight we had dinner at Solera, a wine bar + restaurant in Beyoğlu. The steak was great and they have a superb selection of Turkish wine, many of them available by glass. Chamlija is a Thracian producer that I’ve heard much good about so we ordered their Papazkarası 2014. It was wonderful. They have a pretty “natural” philosophy to making wine but it is certainly not in the freaky end of the spectrum. The wine was clean and savoury with vibrant fruit kind of a like a good Cru Beaujolais but with a bit more beefiness. Racy and moreish. Lovely wine. I really don’t think this would look bad served beside something perfect like Foillard’s Morgon.

I also tried a couple tastes of a few other interesting local wines. Arda Narince 2014 was a peachy, mineral and softly acidic white, very pleasant and genuinely interesting though usually I prefer higher acidity. Somehow it was still refreshing and moreish and felt like it almost had some tannic grip to it. Gordias Kalecik karası 2012 was another KK that was on the rich side of the spectrum for the grape. It had pretty aromatics but those aromatics were also pretty funky so not all might appreciate it. Very high acidity but also very pretty sour cherry (Vişne) aromas. I thought it was very tasty.

What a cool trip (except for the hotel key & food incident)!

Thanks for sharing your story! Any pics?

Trust me, the car and the wrong fuel was far worse than the hotel key and food. :smiley:

I have literally thousands of pictures. Any area in particular you’re interested in? Eventually some will make it to http://www.manar-al-athar.ox.ac.uk/ but that will take time.

Had a couple of glasses of 2012 Sevilen Kalecik Kasasi with lamb last year in Napa, went very well together. Enjoyable, and my only Turkish wine to date.

From what I’ve tasted, I think Narince and Kalecik Kasasi are quite promising grapes.

Kavaklıdere is a huge producer. The basic reds and whites are very good value in the $10-$15 range in the US. And their Prestige range, which is more like $30-$40, has some real interest.

The Turks think very highly of Öküzgözü and Boğazkere, which are grown mainly in very hot regions near Diyerbekir, but I have preferred Kalecik Kasasi.

FYI, Sultaniye = Thompson seedless

Otto Man, thanks for the really interesting post!

Cheers,

Hal

Great read. It can be so much fun to explore far flung wine worlds like that.

Interesting. Surprised there is so much wine in a Muslim country. Only been to a few places in Turkey and only had tea and coffee.

Wine is not that widely drunk – or available – and even many secular Turks don’t drink much. But raki – like ouzo – was the national drink, and Efes is a good lager. So it was not a puritanical environment under either the Ottomans or in 80+ years after Ataturk took over. (Ataturk himself was a heavy drinker and he died of cirrhosis of the liver.)

Until the 1920 there was a large Christian population – Greeks in the west and on the Black Sea, Armenians throughout Anatolia and Syrians along the southern border – and the vineyards survived them. Kavaklıdere was formed by a Muslim businessman in the 1920s, after the Christians were all but gone.

Several years ago, the Erdogan government banned alcohol advertising, which has limited even winery websites. Sadly, this comes just as a new generation of smaller wineries was blossoming.

Narince and KK are probably my favourites of the well known native grapes. Öküzgözü and Boğazkere are also grown in Cappadocia and elsewhere where the temperatures aren’t as hot as in Diyarbakır so they, too, can make very attractive wines.

Sultaniye is actually an Ottoman Turkish grape (they had two seedless green grapes IIRC) and so there is at least some historicity in having a Turkish wine made from it - though like I did say, it isn’t a grand wine by any means.

My experiences have been very different: all my Turkish colleagues and friends drink wine. Though admittedly my sample is skewed since I’m mainly dealing with archaeologists and historians and other well educated, liberal, city-dwelling people. During Erdoğan’s time the official position has become less liberal, but that hasn’t dampened my friends’ willingness to enjoy a good glass of wine. :smiley:

A shopkeeper in Antakya who my (Turkish) wife said she’s pretty sure is Muslim, offered me his homemade, slightly sweet red wine the first time we met. When we returned to the shop three years later, he remembered my appreciation and ran in the back immediately when he saw us to grab a bottle and pour some for us. It was made from some indigenous grape grown only in Hatay province.

The Alevi sect, which is makes up a good part of the population around Antakya, uses wine in some of their observances, I learned a few months ago.

This thread prompts me to write up some wines I pulled together for a dinner at the (excellent) Istanbul Café & Restaurant in Brooklyn (2202 86th St at Bay Parkway) a couple of weeks ago. I’ve listed prices for the ones purchased in NYC.

Whites

2014 Kavaklidere “Çankaya” - Narince (35%), Emir (35%), Sultana (30%)
-Fresh, fruity, very enjoyable. Outstanding value at $8-$10.

2014 Vinkara – Narince
-I liked this better on a previous occasion. This bottle was pleasant but not terribly interesting. ~$16. They have an oak-aged reserve 2010, but that’s lower in acid and has a kind of generic caramelized oak note.

Reds:

2011 Vinkara Reserve (Ankara – Kalecik Karası) $25

2009 Kavaklidere “Prestige” (Ankara, Northwest Anatolia) – Kalecik Karası $40

-Both of these were very nice. The Vinkara was quite light and feminine. It was almost pinot-like in weight and aromas. The Kavaklidere had more depth and somer oak, but with some of those pinot notes, too. I liked both a lot. Just different styles.

2009 Corvus – “Aegea” – (Bozcaada) - Kuntra
-An indigenous grape from Bozcaada island in the Aegean, just outside the Dardanelles. Really lovely, medium body. Some oak, but in balance. The one book on Turkish wine in English I have dissed this grape and Karalahna (see next wine). It’s wrong in the case of Kuntra. Corvus is not available in the U.S. so far as I know. The winery was founded by an architect from Istanbul who wanted to revive the wine tradition of the island, which had been ethnically Greek before the 20s.

2009 Corvus – “Vinium” – (Bozcaada) – Karalahna
-Another indigenous grape from Bozcaada. Pleasant enough but not nearly as interesting as the Kuntra. Not available in the U.S.

2011 Kayra “Vintage” (single vineyard: Aydıncık, Elazıĝ – Eastern Anatolia) – Öküzgözu
(20 months in oak barrels, 20% new, 80% neutral. The grape name means “eye of the bull.”)
-Not very interesting. $20

2012 Kavaklidere “Selection” (Elaziĝ and Diyarbakır, Eastern Anatolia) - Öküzgözu-Boĝazkere
(8 months in French oak barrels)
-Big bodied, the oak shows, but it’s a quite enjoyable if you want a rich, soft-tannined wine that shows its hot-climate origins. Good value for $16.
2011 Sevilen – (Güney Platosu [plateau] - Western Anatolia) - Öküzgözu-Boĝazkere
(700m-950m elevation)

• Not very interesting

Dessert

2010 LA “La Passito” – (Izmir Forbalı vineyard) B. Misket (Muscat)
-Surprisingly light and delicate for a passito, but that was sort of a relief after a gargantuan meal and lots of wine. Nice pairing with baklava