Something old and something new: A couple of fine 1er from PYCM and Faiveley

Two really impressive and tasty 1er at the new restaurant Miro in DTLA.

• 1985 Faiveley Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (5/1/2016)
    From a cellar in Burgundy. Opened 2 hours prior to slow ox.

This is an excellent example of the charmes of old school Faiveley. Nicely aged but more of a middle aged/young adult than anything approaching too old.

Wonderful nose of cherry, earth, black olive, and some bacon fat. Nicely resolved but still with some firm but not harsh tannins and structure. Just entering its drinking window. Impressive.

• 2010 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru en Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (5/1/2016)

Different from the St. Aubin En Remilly. En mag.

Ripe nectarines, honey, pineapple, matchstick, nice weight. Some chalk and limestone. Nice lingering finish. A touch tropical but works well.

It wasn’t until later we found out that the Chassagne En Remilly is touching Chevalier Montrachet and better situated than St. Aubin En Remilly

Posted from CellarTracker
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fred,
How was the food at Miro? Anything noteworthy? My wife’s going for lunch Monday .

Pastas were all very good to excellent.

The flat bread that accompanied the meat balls was also very good. The meatballs themselves were okay.

Bacalao fritters with romesco and aioli were excellent.

Meat entrees were decent not great.

My ex/current coworkers and I were discussing dinner options as one of them was coming from out of town. We settled on Miro as we were very enthused by their whiskey bar and most importantly it was a block from our office.

A couple of hours before dinner Fred asked if I wanted to get a drink as he was heading to LAX. Told him to drop by Miro and have a whiskey with us. I was bringing along an 00 Arcadian Francesca and the 85 faiveley to drink with my ex/current coworkers. Fred generously volunteered the magnum even though he was last moment.

The whiskey room at Miro is awesome. Some real rare finds (port Ellen 9th, 30 yr was omg level scotch to my neophyte palate) and the food was pretty good.

I think between the seven of us we ordered

Four appetizers with 2 orders each. Four pastas. A plate of pate. Pork chop and a rib eye. Three whiskey cokes (for the one guy who didn’t drink wine). With a bottle of pacalet cornas with a generous tip it was $100 a person.

My notes echo Fred’s for the two wines he listed

The 00 Arcadian was the favorite of my friends who aren’t serious wine guys. I also really enjoyed it. Pretty forward and open right now, lots of dark purple fruit and long acidity. Gorgeous fragrant nose of that same dark fruit.

The restaurant also has 130+ SKUs of natural wine so I ordered the 2013 Pacalet Cornas as I had never seen that before. A bit ripe and candied on the nose with a hint of that white pepper cornas nose. The palate was a little thin and showed some red cherry fruit. I tasted it the next day, pretty similar, picked up acid but never really built up much on the palate.

Fred left early to catch his flight. The rest of us had a delicious butterscotch pudding topped with caramel ice cream and finished off the wines.

A fun night. glad Fred was able to join us on short notice!