TN: 2000 Allegrini Amarone

TN: 2000 Allegrini Amarone. Cellared since release. Pinched, narrow and acidic. No nose. Drinkable to be sure with air and filtering for sediment – plum mainly, but completely unlike the pleasure palace this was 5-7 years ago. Drying. Does Amarone just not age well? Oh, well - an experiment. Bummer. $42. 84 points.

I’ve had similar experiences with multiple bottles of the 1998. It would appear that it is Allegrini Amarone that does not age well.

Hmm. I have some 2003, which it seems I should try.

Hmm, seems like I should drink up a 97’ and 98’ left in the cellar. This is disappointing news to hear.

It was drinkable, but, compared to the pleasure in the first half dozen years, no comparison. I’m really just wondering if Amarone is better younger.

Was afraid after reading these comments, so cracked a 1998 last night. It was awesome! Definitely not as lush as it would have been in its youth, but this was refined and elegant. Hardly any sweetness (as I expected), with no raisiny components, just plum. Nice texture, mouth filling. I’d easily give it a 92.