TN: 2002 Chateau Malescot St. Exupery

2002 Malescot St-Ex, PNP after purchasing from the Bassin’s bargain bin for a shocking $25: A Bordeaux for the Loire-lover: in this cooler and less-than-stellar vintage, the Margaux perfume is there and there is a certain leanness and Chinon-like green pepper note but the fruit is all cassis. Deeply colored, no trace of bricking, and dusty tannins still present in a somewhat terse finish. It lacks in depth and richness but it has a flyweight’s tenacity. Overall very enjoyable if not a poster child for classic Bordeaux. 92p

Alfert would love this, Doc. You lost me at “Chinon-like green pepper note.” Thanks for posting

image.jpeg

Honestly, this is a wine that I could blind people on and if I told them it was Clos Rougeard half of them would believe me.

Thanks for the note. Some folks on the BWE board said those 02 bin ends were related to a local restaurant bankruptcy liquidation.

That’s what Phil said. I may try the 02 Nenin tonight. Even if mediocre it will probably be a steal st $25…

… wow and, I suspect, at a third of the price for the same vintage of the base Rougeard.