Aubert just canceled my order!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
CraigT

Post #1  Postby CraigT » April 27th 2016, 3:09pm

Aubert just canceled my order after I returned heat damaged wine! [swearing.gif] Anbody have this same problem?
Craig Teets

Advertisement

Rob Weaver

Post #2  Postby Rob Weaver » April 27th 2016, 3:14pm

I haven't had that occur, but the reason I don't order from Aubert is due to poor treatment on a hideously corked bottle of Chard.
CraigT

Post #3  Postby CraigT » April 27th 2016, 3:25pm

Check this out. They shipped the wine when it was 87 degrees outside in a non-styrofoam shipper. According to UPS it sat in concord for 13 hours?. I called them and they said no problem we'll replace the wine. It got sent back and then I get an email saying they have no more wine. This sucks! [swearing.gif]
Craig Teets
Brent C l a y t o n

Post #4  Postby Brent C l a y t o n » April 27th 2016, 3:39pm

They gave me the same runaround over a corked bottle, wanted to have it shipped to them so they could 'test' it for TCA. Thank you, moving on.
Purveyor of Plonk ITB--Sales
J a y H a c k
SubscriberSubscriber
Wine Genius ;)

Post #5  Postby J a y H a c k » April 27th 2016, 3:49pm

I have always had excellent service from them. I made a mistake with my order this year because I misread the offer and when I sent them an email a few days later after the website would not let me change it and they got me the extra bottles. I left out. They have also gotten last minute address changes on shipments and they once found me a mag of chardonnay that I wanted for Mother's Day and got it to me even thought I missed the order because my mother likes Aubert Chardonnay.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!
anthonyshideler

Post #6  Postby anthonyshideler » April 27th 2016, 4:17pm

There is so much demand for Aubert that they don't care about people or long-time supporters of their brand. I have a buddy who has been on their list from the very beginning and bought a full allocation every year. To consolidate his wines, he began having them shipped to a wine shop that he purchased imports from to have everything shipped together at once. When the people at Aubert found out they immediately removed him from the mailing list without a call or notification whatsoever. When he tried to contact them they would not return repeated emails or phone calls. Aubert is one of, if not the, shadiest producer out there when it comes to this kind of stuff. They can get away with this for now, but one has to believe some consumer backlash is in their future.
ITB
Mike V e r h i l l e

Post #7  Postby Mike V e r h i l l e » April 27th 2016, 4:43pm

I have to say that I have been a customer for many years. I think Phillip has been the most responsive and helpful winery representative I have worked with. I have had no such issues with them.
Robert Alfert, Jr.
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby Robert Alfert, Jr. » April 27th 2016, 4:48pm

CraigT wrote:Aubert just canceled my order after I returned heat damaged wine! [swearing.gif] Anbody have this same problem?

Easy answer for me, cancel your mailing list membership.

There are very few wines in the wine world that either cannot be replaced by another comparable producer or later acquired in the after-market.
Andrew Kaufman
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #9  Postby Andrew Kaufman » April 27th 2016, 5:37pm

Phillip has been great. Like JH I have had great customer service. Very difficult to obtain on secondary market at or near release.
NED VALOIS

Post #10  Postby NED VALOIS » April 27th 2016, 5:39pm

Never had anything but first class service from them. Wine arrive in Miami cold to the touch with Fed Ex , great, however pricey shipping .
Andrew Kaufman
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #11  Postby Andrew Kaufman » April 27th 2016, 5:41pm

The only negative is that they permit (very) undesirables like Ned to purchase.
Anton D
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #12  Postby Anton D » April 27th 2016, 6:03pm

Andrew Kaufman wrote:The only negative is that they permit (very) undesirables like Ned to purchase.

It gets worse.

They allow me to buy their wine, too!

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson
Jason T
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #13  Postby Jason T » April 27th 2016, 6:13pm

I wouldn't be able to enjoy a wine after the producer did this. Too many other producers out there that want to treat me right.
J@son Tr@ughber
A Rosen

Post #14  Postby A Rosen » April 27th 2016, 6:20pm

Sorry you had a bad experience.
I've been a customer for many years and had nothing but first class service and treatment.
Andrew
NED VALOIS

Post #15  Postby NED VALOIS » April 27th 2016, 6:25pm

Andrew Kaufman wrote:The only negative is that they permit (very) undesirables like Ned to purchase.

Not only that , I pee in the empties & have them ship to Andrew as the real stuff !! neener
D@vid Bu3ker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #16  Postby D@vid Bu3ker » April 27th 2016, 6:32pm

Overpayed, overripe candy juice. Move on.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan
NED VALOIS

Post #17  Postby NED VALOIS » April 27th 2016, 6:47pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:Overpayed, overripe candy juice. Move on.

You've tasted my pee ?
Chuck Anderson
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #18  Postby Chuck Anderson » April 27th 2016, 7:08pm

He was checking for diabetes, the old-skool way. "Candy juice" sounds like a positive, I'm sorry to inform you.
NED VALOIS

Post #19  Postby NED VALOIS » April 27th 2016, 7:31pm

To each their own !
Ken Strauss
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby Ken Strauss » April 27th 2016, 8:47pm

It is too bad that you can't enjoy Top class wines.

The wine is not overripe or candy juice. It might be overpriced. However that is only because so many love the wine.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #21  Postby Nick Ryan » April 28th 2016, 12:17am

You mean it's possible to tell the difference between normal and heat-damaged Aubert? That stretches credulity.
D@vid Bu3ker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #22  Postby D@vid Bu3ker » April 28th 2016, 4:58am

Ken Strauss wrote:

The wine is not overripe or candy juice. It might be overpriced. However that is only because so many love the wine.

I just find them totally overdone. I prefer Ramey if I want California Chardonnay of that style.
Loren Sonkin
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #23  Postby Loren Sonkin » April 28th 2016, 5:11am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Ken Strauss wrote:

I just find them totally overdone. I prefer Ramey if I want California Chardonnay of that style.

I understand not liking Aubert, tastes differ, but to say they are the same style as Ramey? That I just don't get.
With regards,

Loren
Sonkin Cellars
ITB - California Syrah Blends
D@vid Bu3ker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #24  Postby D@vid Bu3ker » April 28th 2016, 5:15am

OK - not exactly (Aubert is bigger by a long shot which is what I don't like), but I find both more Californian than being the Chablis wanna-be style.
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #25  Postby John Morris » April 28th 2016, 5:45am

I don't seem much similarity between Ramey and Aubert either.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

"It is never different this time." -- Harley Bassman
k s h i n
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #26  Postby k s h i n » April 28th 2016, 5:51am

I am not a big fan of California Chardonnay but Aubert is a very unique expression. It has a lot of everything, fruit, alcohol, acidity and the most importantly mineral. If you like the style, there is no other producer who can provide the similar experience. The mineral expression aspect is similar to Chablis not that anyone will confuse with Chablis. The fruit expression is quite fresh not candied. Ramey is much more tropical fruit/yellow fruit and not much minerality, for my palate.
Kevin
Brian Gilp

Post #27  Postby Brian Gilp » April 28th 2016, 5:53am

CraigT wrote:Check this out. They shipped the wine when it was 87 degrees outside in a non-styrofoam shipper. According to UPS it sat in concord for 13 hours?. I called them and they said no problem we'll replace the wine. It got sent back and then I get an email saying they have no more wine. This sucks! [swearing.gif]

This reminds me of one of the Ilan threads where it was discussed as to how it was possible that some wine wasn't held back as a reserve to address issues or for other purposes. I always assumed that wineries doing DtC sales held some wine back for exactly this type of issue. Guess not.
Dennis Kanagie

Post #28  Postby Dennis Kanagie » April 28th 2016, 5:56am

anthonyshideler wrote:There is so much demand for Aubert that they don't care about people or long-time supporters of their brand. I have a buddy who has been on their list from the very beginning and bought a full allocation every year. To consolidate his wines, he began having them shipped to a wine shop that he purchased imports from to have everything shipped together at once. When the people at Aubert found out they immediately removed him from the mailing list without a call or notification whatsoever. When he tried to contact them they would not return repeated emails or phone calls. Aubert is one of, if not the, shadiest producer out there when it comes to this kind of stuff. They can get away with this for now, but one has to believe some consumer backlash is in their future.

Somehow, someway, karma will pay back those that deserve it. Once a winery like this falls out of favor, they'll be begging to have the customers back they shafted.

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Easy answer for me, cancel your mailing list membership.

There are very few wines in the wine world that either cannot be replaced by another comparable producer or later acquired in the after-market.

Shazam! [cheers.gif]
Purple Drankin' Cretin
Anthony Lombardi

Post #29  Postby Anthony Lombardi » April 28th 2016, 5:59am

CraigT wrote:Check this out. They shipped the wine when it was 87 degrees outside in a non-styrofoam shipper. According to UPS it sat in concord for 13 hours?. I called them and they said no problem we'll replace the wine. It got sent back and then I get an email saying they have no more wine. This sucks! [swearing.gif]

Out of curiosity, did they refund you or offer a credit for future orders? I would hope that they would make you more than whole on this since they, or their shipping company made the error (hot weather).
John Ammons

Post #30  Postby John Ammons » April 28th 2016, 8:25am

And if they see this tread there will be no future orders!

This brings to mind discussions in the past where folks chimed in with bizarre mailing list practices. And for every one of these people there are several who stand by the Aubert Gold Standard of Service Excellence. Interesting.

As for the wine, my description is close to David B's "candy juice". I call it "adult candy." And I like it, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.
Ken Strauss
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #31  Postby Ken Strauss » April 28th 2016, 8:50am

John Ammons wrote:And if they see this tread there will be no future orders!

This brings to mind discussions in the past where folks chimed in with bizarre mailing list practices. And for every one of these people there are several who stand by the Aubert Gold Standard of Service Excellence. Interesting.

As for the wine, my description is close to David B's "candy juice". I call it "adult candy." And I like it, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

I guess the Sugar Shack is your favorite champagne.gif
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"
Anton D
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #32  Postby Anton D » April 28th 2016, 9:57am

If only Prince were alive, he could turn "candy juice" into a funky tune.

I bet he'd be able to find a way to include "overripe" and
"overpaid," too.
Anton Dotson
Dennis Kanagie

Post #33  Postby Dennis Kanagie » April 28th 2016, 10:26am

So it's okay to enjoy Riesling that has ripe fruit with residual sugar but not Chardonnay?
Purple Drankin' Cretin
Alan Eden
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #34  Postby Alan Eden » April 28th 2016, 10:35am

Dennis

Dont know about ripe fruit but i was amazed as a Chablis lover how great a good trocken can be, im guessing low rs on a trocken though, not sure how ripe the fruit would be
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
CraigT

Post #35  Postby CraigT » April 28th 2016, 11:47am

They did refund my money via my credit card. Whats interesting is they sent me an invoice that showed the refund and in little print underneath it said "order was returned at customers request. No inventory to fulfill order." At least they could of sent me an email. Whats also interesting is I had talked and emailed there customer service manager Philip and he said that he would replace it as soon as he received the old bottles. Also who ever sent me a PM I am not able to access PM's. Thanks...
Craig Teets
Chris Seiber
SubscriberSubscriber
Omnivinovore

Post #36  Postby Chris Seiber » April 28th 2016, 12:16pm

So the official version at least is that they refunded your money but didn't have inventory left to offer you new bottles.

I don't know how to evaluate if that is true or not - of course they could sell all of it if they want, but I assume wineries hold some reserve back as well, whether for contingencies (e.g. order got lost, computer error) or for aging and later evaluation or tasting events. It's probably either (a) in that in between ground, where they aren't literally out of these wines but what they have left is the amount they reserve for other purposes, or (b) they're just annoyed at you and don't want to send you more.

Have you called to ask them why you can't get replacement bottles?
"Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination." - Andre Tchelistcheff
Thomas Keim
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #37  Postby Thomas Keim » April 28th 2016, 12:29pm

Ken Strauss wrote:

I'm in the same boat. Candy juice is a good descriptive. But to each his own. If people like paying these kinds of prices for wines like this - all the power to them.
ITB - Old World Imports - Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"
CraigT

Post #38  Postby CraigT » April 28th 2016, 12:40pm

I spoke with the owner Mark Aubert and he said they literally have no wine to replace the bottle. he went on to say that there were "numerous" customers that had sent wine back for some reason or other and that they did not have enough to replace everybody's. So it appears that I was not the only one to have problems. I also asked why he would send the wine in egg crate packaging and in 87 degree weather. He said that its not feasible to ship only when its cool in Napa and regarding the packaging he said quote "You gotta learn to deal with the packaging, its the future". I really was surprised by his response. He didn't seem to care about the condition of his wine during shipping.
Craig Teets
Dennis Kanagie

Post #39  Postby Dennis Kanagie » April 28th 2016, 1:11pm

CraigT wrote:I spoke with the owner Mark Aubert and he said they literally have no wine to replace the bottle. he went on to say that there were "numerous" customers that had sent wine back for some reason or other and that they did not have enough to replace everybody's. So it appears that I was not the only one to have problems. I also asked why he would send the wine in egg crate packaging and in 87 degree weather. He said that its not feasible to ship only when its cool in Napa and regarding the packaging he said quote "You gotta learn to deal with the packaging, its the future". I really was surprised by his response. He didn't seem to care about the condition of his wine during shipping.

Translation: there are enough non-geek customers that don't know any better who will keep us rolling in dollars so you can take a hike. [berserker.gif]
Purple Drankin' Cretin
Paul Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #40  Postby Paul Miller » April 28th 2016, 1:14pm

You going to order again? They keep you on the list?
Dennis Kanagie

Post #41  Postby Dennis Kanagie » April 28th 2016, 1:15pm

Paul Miller wrote:You going to order again? They keep you on the list?

Maybe he'll get shipped the bottles somebody else returned, and his returned bottles will fill another order! [wink.gif]
Purple Drankin' Cretin
Bill Tex Landreth
SubscriberSubscriber
Ayatollah of Rum & Cola

Post #42  Postby Bill Tex Landreth » April 28th 2016, 1:19pm

Dennis Kanagie wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:You going to order again? They keep you on the list?

Maybe he'll get shipped the bottles somebody else returned, and his returned bottles will fill another order! [wink.gif]

Coming to a Steakhouse near you soon...
ITB: Elmo Wagyu Cattle Company

"A cow is a biological machine invented by humans to turn grass into steak."--Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bill Tex Landreth
SubscriberSubscriber
Ayatollah of Rum & Cola

Post #43  Postby Bill Tex Landreth » April 28th 2016, 1:20pm

Dennis Kanagie wrote:
CraigT wrote:I spoke with the owner Mark Aubert and he said they literally have no wine to replace the bottle. he went on to say that there were "numerous" customers that had sent wine back for some reason or other and that they did not have enough to replace everybody's. So it appears that I was not the only one to have problems. I also asked why he would send the wine in egg crate packaging and in 87 degree weather. He said that its not feasible to ship only when its cool in Napa and regarding the packaging he said quote "You gotta learn to deal with the packaging, its the future". I really was surprised by his response. He didn't seem to care about the condition of his wine during shipping.

Translation: there are enough non-geek customers that don't know any better who will keep us rolling in dollars so you can take a hike. [berserker.gif]

Learning from the Ray Walker playbook.
ITB: Elmo Wagyu Cattle Company

"A cow is a biological machine invented by humans to turn grass into steak."--Neil deGrasse Tyson
CraigT

Post #44  Postby CraigT » April 28th 2016, 1:48pm

No orders from me in the future. I'm pulling my name from the list. [head-bang.gif]
Craig Teets
Cameron Hughes

Post #45  Postby Cameron Hughes » April 28th 2016, 1:57pm

CraigT wrote:Aubert just canceled my order after I returned heat damaged wine! [swearing.gif] Anbody have this same problem?

Craig T - from what I can gather, wine was shipped to you and sat in a warehouse where the temperature was 87 degrees outside. As far as I can tell from your post, that's the only reason you returned it. But answer this for me...was the cork pushing up when it arrived to you? How do you know it was "heat damaged".
Cameron Hughes

Post #46  Postby Cameron Hughes » April 28th 2016, 2:00pm

Very curious to see this packaging of the future...you didn't get pics did you? Is it supposedly a better performer in the heat? Not sure why it would be "future" packaging if it wasn't better insulating...
Benjamin Hand

Post #47  Postby Benjamin Hand » April 28th 2016, 2:01pm

Dennis Kanagie wrote:So it's okay to enjoy Riesling that has ripe fruit with residual sugar but not Chardonnay?

For one thing, there is a difference between phenolic ripeness and sugar ripeness, and the relationship between those two processes seems different in different kinds of grapes. It hardly seems odd that different grapes would be amenable to different treatments. After all, there are reasons that we make chenin blanc and other grapes into "dessert wines", but not chardonnay. Acidity is certainly a key factor, but there are others.
johngonzales
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #48  Postby johngonzales » April 28th 2016, 2:06pm

Liking something that Bueker doesn't is like a badge of honor isn't it? :)

Aubert is certainly nothing close to Chablis and decidedly Californian. Everybody doesn't like the same thing. But in drinking a lot of Aubert, I'm almost surprised at how many of my local aficianados who drink mostly French wine really like Aubert.

Fwiw, packaging of the future might relate to environmental friendliness.

I can actually understand him not having anymore wine, though as Seiber states it's hard to believe they didn't hold anything back. But if they really wanted to take some responsibility, they'd find SOMETHING short of just canceling this season's order. It's also below standard IMO to state such little concern for when/how fine wine is shipped.
NED VALOIS

Post #49  Postby NED VALOIS » April 28th 2016, 2:09pm

[quote="johngonzales"]Liking something that Bueker doesn't is like a badge of honor isn't it? :)

+100 !! [snort.gif]
CraigT

Post #50  Postby CraigT » April 28th 2016, 2:10pm

Regarding the cork's, most were recessed about 1/4 inch. When I talked to Aubert they said they leave there corks 1mm short. What was interesting in the package is that the wines at the top were the most affected and as I went down in levels of packaging the wines were less effected. The bottom row actually had 2 bottles that were normal.
Craig Teets

Return to Wine Talk

logo
Food Advertising by