Checking in on some California Cabs at Blackfish

Kevin Foley was in town this weekend, presenting us with an excuse for some Sunday night merriment at Blackfish, one of the true BYOB gems in the Philadelphia dining scene. The Chef knew we were bringing Cabs, so he developed a multi-course tasting that included some really excellent food, including a short rib ravioli with lobster butter, Wagyu Beef Tartare, a Beef Consomme’ starter soup that was intriguing in it’s complexity, some aged Wagyu Ribeye and corned beef tongue.

We checked out the following:

1964, 1991 and 1992 Ridge Monte Bello
1984 & 1988 Dominus
1987 and 2002 Montelena

The '64 Monte Bello was surprisingly vibrant - past peak, no doubt, but still quite interesting to drink. The star of the Monte Bello’s was the '91 - classic California Cabernet, with plenty of time ahead of it.

I think most of us preferred the '84 (which was the first “commercially”-released vintage of Dominus, although they did make an '83 as well), but one of the things that surprised in this flight was how differently the two wines presented. We had tried the '85 Dominus last Sunday as part of our EMH Black Cat tasting and that wine showed a little past peak, but this bottle of '84 was still in prime drinking shape. The '88 was marked by a soy note on the nose that was interesting, but I still found the '84 to be more powerful and focused in the glass.

The Montelena flight was definitely the youngest-showing of the wines - that 2002 was very impressive, but if you have it in the cellar, I would continue to defer opening for at least five years (the 2002 and the '64 Ridge were the only wines we ended up decanting). I liked the '87 as well, but ultimately think the 2002 will be the better wine.

[cheers.gif]

Terrific meal and good company–Blackfish is still about my favorite BYO destination for all sorts of tastings. Agree generally with Bob’s assessment on the wines and the table had a high degree of consensus. The Montelenas were somewhat underwhelming relative to the Dominus and the Montebellos. I really liked the 1992 Montebello and thought it was somewhat more mature (probably fully mature), while the 1991 could have benefited from a bit of a decant. This and Bob’s EMH tasting last Sunday suggest there is a fair bit of vintage and bottle variation as you get into 20+ year old Cali Cabernet (no great surprise) but that these are long lived wines. The idea that the 2002 Montelena, a 14-year old wine, was so far from ready, suggests that these wines have somewhat the same aging curve as their brethren in Bordeaux.

FWIW, I had the wines rated from most favorite on were as follows:

1991 Ridge Monte Bello. Agree with Bob on this one. Really beautiful. The deepest and most powerful of all wines, yet it had excellent balance. Many years of life ahead of it. 97 points.

1987 Montelena. Close to the '91 MB, but without the same power or length. Drink up. Solid 95

1992 Ridge Monte Bello. Probably the most approachable of the bunch. Round and in a really good place. Drink in the next two years. 93

2002 Montelena. Benefitted from a one hour decant after 6 hours of slow O. This is the first of a case that I opened. Probably will revisit the next one in two years and sample after 4-8 hours of slow O and then maybe a one hour decant. 92 today. Lots of stuffing. Add up to 3-4 points when it enters its prime drinking window in a few years

1984 Dominus. Fully mature. IMO the 80s Dominus wines were far more French styled on the subtle (non-blockbuster BDX side of things) and packed less power than the 90s and later renditions. Drink up. 90

1964 Ridge Monte Bello. Interesting science experiment. 89. Drink them now, if you have any.

1988 Dominus. Started out pretty good, but seemed to deteriorate quickly in the glass; might be a provenance issue. Wound up reaching for the '84 more. Found this to be the least impressive of the bunch, but on its own it could have warranted a higher score. 88

Wonderful meal and wines. Thanks for organizing Dave K.

For the record, here was the beef tasting menu that Yanni and Chip put together for us. One of the best meals I’ve had at Blackfish. In particular, the amazing consommé wouldn’t have been out of place at Per Se.

1st course
Beef consommé
malted spring parsnip, sherry vinegar, puffed grains

2nd course
Corned beef tongue
spring relish, garlic milk jam, mustard green

3rd
Wagyu Beef Tartar
torpedo shallot, gaufrette, caper, egg yolk

4th course
Shortrib Ravioli
crème fraice, smoked carrot, lobster butter, marjoram