2015 Max Ferd. Richter "Wehlener Sonnenuhr" - contender for Kabinett of the Year

Right now in my glass…strong contender for “Kabinett of the Year”

2015 Max Ferd. Richter “Wehlener Sonnenuhr”

http://en.maxferdrichter.de/en/

OMG, so crystal clear, so sublime&fine and so much Wehlener Sonnenuhr in the glass. So muß das Ding klingen!
82 Grad Oechsle, 45.9 g/l RS, 9.9 g/l acidity and 7.5 %

" was already mind-blowing in the barrel" Mosel winemaker Stefan Steinmetz

Cheers,
Martin

Wow. I’ve liked their wines in the past, but that’s high praise. Will need to seek it out.

Interesting. I also like their wines, but have never once been blown away.

When is the thread coming for “2015 Graacher Himmelriech Spatlese of the Year”?

The 2001s are pretty sensational. But I suppose they all are.

I love your enthusiasm Martin!

Let’s wait until they are all a bottled at least though! :wink:

Martin-
Thank you for sharing this. Will be on the lookout for the 2015.

Russell,

all these years of bacchanal wine drinking&tastings should be for something good then to recognize&discover great Rieslings. Here we have one! Of course, there will be other great Rieslings from 2015, BUT I am pretty shure here we have one of the discoveries of the Year.

In addition, a dozen Riesling-freaks confirmed my view yesterday night from their tastings at ProWein. Even a true Mosel-expert said “best collection @ ProWein”.

Cheers,
Martin

Let’s try some in Berlin next February!

We will. Before you take a plane to attend the “BerlinRieslingCup” in autumn.

Thanks Martin
Great note. Like tasting it myself
Do you know if Prum are releasing 2015 vineyard Kabinetten?
Alles gutes

Claus,

I don´t know, but the vintage 2015 seems such outstanding at MOSEL that it will be certainly vineyard Kabinetts from JJ Prüm.

All the best,
Martin

I just had a 2000 Richter Kabinett that was pretty spectacular, especially for the price ($22ish). Really precise and mineral, great acidity, and bone dry.

I am happy that my opinion or impression is shared by an experienced german Riesling-lover.

“I can´t remember that I have ever had such a good and such a true kabinett-style young Kabinett. Brilliant.”

Here the complete TN in german:

Cheers,
Martin

I strongly recommend to buy a case of this magic KABINETT

Cheers,
Martin

F+R must mean “[o]nly 900 cases [bottles] were produced…” A Fuder is about 1,300 bottles. I doubt Max Ferd. Richter produced 9 Fuder of 2015 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett. If so, that’s a lot of Kabinett from one vineyard.

We had a 2000 about a month ago. Everyone LOVED it (although no one felt it was “bone dry”). Unfortunately, we only had one bottle. I went back to the store where I found it to buy more and it was the last bottle in their inventory of 11 stores. Hopefully, they’ll be ordering the 2015’s. :slight_smile:

Martin confirmed that Max Ferd. Richter produced almost 10,000 bottles of this wine. That’s almost 8 Fuder.