Tor Chards. Who buys these?

Dear Andrew,

We are really having fun with our Chardonnay portfolio these days. Over the 15 years we have been working with specific rows in great vineyard sites, we feel very confident to say our Chardonnays are representative of not just the best from California, but stand tall against Cru Burgundy. I really don’t think that is bragging. It is an opinion, but I have been collecting and enjoying great Chardonnays now for over four decades, and I feel California’s best are at an all-time high.

We have dedicated and experienced farmers – all at the top of their games. Larry Hyde, Bill Price’s team at Durell, and Steve Beresini; each continue to impress us, fine tuning the great art of growing Chardonnay. To us, they have Grand Cru sites which produce wines with verve, texture, and minerality. Minerality to us is that extra several layers of flavors that extend beyond and yet still compliment the fruit. It makes a Chardonnay that is not obvious and singular, but multi-dimensional and that demands another glass.

2014 was a knockdown, superb Chardonnay year for us. I heard Jeff say many times it could be our very best yet. I am not going to argue. These are rich wines, a shade richer than the exceptional 2013’s, but retain excellent balance and acidity. The proof of all this may simply be the fact that 2014 gave us our very first RESERVE Chardonnay. Finally.

In the past, the single vineyards stood out as individuals best, refusing to get any better as a blend. In 2014 after a whole lot of very enjoyable blending sessions, we found our first multi-vineyard blend, that we thought stood above the single vineyard representations. And I called it after my very patient and lovely wife, Susan. So you know it is great. I don’t think I can honor the wine more. Jeff’s notes on the wine nail its personality.

The single vineyard wines all excelled. Jeff and I both feel the 2014 Durell is the best yet - in the 12 years we have been working with that vineyard. Hyde is Hyde – the brightest most Burgundian of the four Chardonnays. Torchiana - or our Beresini Vineyard Chardonnay – a hallmark vintage for that highly sought after wine

Cost?

60.00, 85 for the reserve.