Finally... TN: 2002 Krug

Krug 2002.JPG
2002 Krug. Popped and poured by Stephan Hinsen, Brand Ambassador Krug. Tasted alongside the 2003 Krug and the Grande Cuvée.

The 2002 Krug was utterly impressive from the first sip. So much more power and tension than the 2003 (which I’ve never liked btw). Just recently bottled I was expecting the 2002 to be a bit more restrained but flavors of brioche, lemon zest and even a hint of tangerine jumped out of the (Krug) glass. The nose was much less oxidative compared to 2003…so focussed and precise without being steely…this is why I love Krug so much. The perlage is very fine and bubbled up slowly…always hinting a great vintage.

On the palate three times the power of the 2003 without being heavy at all. Bright and creamy at the same time. Very elegant minerality, complex aromas of white and yellow fruits along with a very fine note of toastiness. What a great showing. 98+

Glad I’ve secured a case.

Ouch…this one is gonna hurt, but hurt so good

Thanks for the note - been waiting to hear on this, sounds like a great young Krug.

Now to secure some…

Is it expected this would command a 40% premium in price over the 2003, or has it just not reached the US market fully?

Rama, I have no insight into the US market but even though Krug is playing the release/demand game quite professional it seems that there is indeed a very high demand for the 2002.

2016 allocation for Germany is only about 600 bottles [shock.gif] Sales in Russia are weak due to economy but Japan is now an extremely strong market for Krug (around 1/3 of the production went to Japan these days). China is on par with Germany in terms of Krug consumption.

So, even though I’d love to see lower prices for the second tranche release (looks like it won’t be before summer 2017) I highly doubt that you’ll see lower prices in the future. 2002 Krug in Magnum will be released in Q4/2017.

FWIW, I saw bottles this past week in NJ for $229.99, so there is hope!

There is a doable price!

Wow, that seems incredibly low. Isn’t production in the 450,000-500,000 range? Obviously that’s very small by champagne standards, but unless they’re keep large quantities back (as they may), 600 bottles each to Germany and China seems on the low side.

IIRC, the 1996 was 10,000 cases, or 120,000 bottles. I wasn’t under the impression Krug made those kind of numbers you mention.

had it a few weeks ago at the Krug Townhouse here in NYC. fascinating tasting and exercise as it was served alongside the 2003 and the 2002 base (release #158 i think?). all very good and delicious. the 2003 was the outlier but the differences between the 2002 and the MV base 2002 were slight. the vintage wine had a distinct riper/minty element. but man, going back and forth between that and the MV was fascinating.

You’re completely right. I was thinking GC, or maybe even GC+Vintage.

I’ve heard even lower numbers. According to Krug a total of 300 Million bottles of Champagne are made per year and Krug’s stake is 0.1%…which would be 300.000 bottles in total. According to Krug nearly 80% is GC, 10% Vintage and 10% Rosé and Specials (Clos Mesnil, D’Ambonnay). So that would mean only about 30.000 bottles of Vintage Champagne, right?

I suspect it peaks and falls by vintage, just like most places. Obviously vintage Krug is impacted more directly by vintage variation, whereas as long as there is a good mix of vintages over any given 3-5 year period they can smooth for variance via. blending.

I have absolutely no insight into the true numbers though. A quick google search brings up results from 2006-2013 listing the number at either 450,000 or 500,000, which is what I assume I was remembering. Who knows where those numbers came from though.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20many%20bottles%20does%20krug%20produce

“The Krug 2002 vintage has been flying off the shelves in the short time since its release, with merchants reporting that demand is far exceeding supply.” champagne.gif

Happy I got in on a 6:er at FRW, even if I missed out on the lower price of £950 and paid £1150.

Allocations are minuscule…

They’re now offering it at £1250/6!!

I love Krug, but I can take or leave it at this price (and I mean £950/6).

I attended a Krug vertical and while 2002 is getting the attention, I would urge everyone to not forget 2000 which is also great but overshadowed by the hype of 2002. If someone served me a glass of 2003, I would thank them and enjoy it but I am not excited enough to buy any for myself. I would stick to 96, 00 and 02 as splurges worthy of owning.