TN: 1973 Batard-Montrachet

1973 Domaine Prieur-Brunet: Batard-Montrachet

Established in 1804, I was looking forward to trying this 73cl bottle of Burgundian Grand Cru excellence. Popped, poured and drunk over 2 hours. I rarely see any tasting notes on white Burgundies from the 1973 vintage, so I was more than curious and excited to open it. The cork came out nicely in one piece. A bright clear golden colour greeted me as I poured into my Riedel O glass. From the word go, the nose was pure paradise and, unhurried, unfurled its charms. Precise white stone fruit, fresh yellow plums, mango and a hint of citrus. The zingy mouthfeel wakes my senses like a splash of cold water to my face. Fresh and eager to get out of its glass home for the last c42 years, this gem delivered a focused core of seamless pleasure to my tongue. No hard edges, no flabbiness, it beckoned me back for sip after sip of cool, refreshing character. The length just paced itself slowly into the distance. Served blind, I would have guessed 15-20 years too young. It paired perfectly with my poached whole sea bream. This is, for me, one of the top 5 white burgundies of my life that I have been fortunate to drink.

Very nice Nicos, what a beautiful color! You are on a streak with your beautiful old bottles and even if not top shelf they bring you joy. Cheers!

That looks good. Enjoy Nicos.

Looks great Nicos. I have had the '71 Meursault-Charmes from these guys a couple of times and it has been excellent.

My pleasure chaps.

Terrific Nicos…poached sea bream for 2 I imagine [cheers.gif] .

Thanks for the note, Nicos. Sounds a lovely wine.

No mold on the cork, that’s a good sign right? pileon

Bob, I do like a tasty fish or two.

Well done, sir!