DryJanuary. Observations as of day 19 (now day 43 and done)

So I’m a little more than 2 weeks into this, my plan is to go ‘dry’ to Feb 1, and continue with the strict diet and lots of exercise regimen through Feb 11th and then see my Dr. for my annual physical on Feb 12th (important to ‘lie’ to your Dr!).

Anyway, 19 days in, I’m down about 4.5% bodyweight (approx), that’s the caloric equivalent of about 48 Big Mac Mcdonalds burgers (disgusting thought).

Not very surprising observations:

1. The not drinking part is relatively easy during the week, much harder on Friday/Saturday.
  2. The not drinking part gets harder as the quality of the restaurant increases.
  3. Other people around me drinking has no effect, does not make me ‘want’ anything. I’ve gone with friends to a bar, and felt nothing.
  4. I haven’t been in my wine cellar this month. For no reason either way, just haven’t had a reason to go in there.
  5. I’ve purchased no wine this month. Same reason as #4, just haven’t found anything interesting
  6. I seem to be looking less at wine offerings. Small sample though, 19 days.
  7. The hardest part. I like to cook and generally spend the most time cooking on Fridays and Saturdays. Wow do I miss wine as part of that process.
  8. Haven’t had friends over for dinner this month, odd to invite someone over and not serve wine I think.

So all in all, not as hard as I thought it would be. And if it helps get me to Feb 12th with an 8-10% bodyweight loss, that’s a huge winner.
That’s a weight I haven’t seen since graduate school back in the '80s.

Interesting observations. I agree on the restaurant thing. When I went dry for a two week+ trip to Iceland I only really missed the wine if I was having an outstanding meal.

Back then, my weight was 185 lbs., with the help of Harold’s Chicken Shack and Leon’s Ribs while
studying at 2:00AM.
The recent holidays were my downfall, as it crept to 148 lbs. this morning. [suicide.gif]

The holiday season is always a killer for me, starting a week or so before Thanksgiving and going through December. A ‘good’ period for me is a 5lb gain, so I really need January to get back to stable. This year, trying for a local low.
And yes, Harolds and Ribs+Bibs would be a killer! But w/o drinking, very easy to resist the delicious ‘late night’ food.

The Cottage Grove venue of Leon’s had loaded rifles behind the thick glass partitions, to discourage any customers
from lingering, in search of “loose” cash after closing. [shock.gif]

Peter, your observations #7 and #8 are behavioral changes. It’s tough to alter or stop with habits you enjoy. When I quit smoking I also didn’t have as much problem in bars around others that smoked, but I did have to stop going to the family dinners every other Sunday night because after the meal the guys would go out on the back porch / balcony (depending on which house hosted the meal) and smoke while chatting. That made it MUCH easier to stick to quitting. I’ve found the first week is the hardest for any type of change. After two or three weeks, you should have it beat as long as you don’t have a weak moment. It can take up to three months or more for the change to set.

Take a plastic food container to each restaurant meal, for doggie-bagging.
Then, one can avoid both overeating and food waste. Another WB’er and
I went to Tartine NYC on Saturday, to share a 2000 D’Armhailhac and 1996
Pontet Canet. Leftover vegetables, potatoes, and saucisson became the
filings of my Sunday omelet.

http://parisbymouth.com/french-restaurants-now-offering-doggy-bags-in-planet-saving-measure/

Peter you can do it! A friend of mine did this last year and lost 8kg or so and his experience sounded similar - he reckoned the biggest cause of the weight loss was that without nice wine he didn’t enjoy eating very much. You are also right about the collateral damage of late night munchies. Anyway, best of luck with it. You are a better man than I

Seriously? That seems gauche. blush I’m relatively sure every restaurant has take home containers for their patrons.

Yep, I completely agree. You get ‘used’ to certain things, certain ways of doing things, etc. My wife (who’s also doing this) and I found that putting flavored sparkling water in champagne glasses helps the dinner process. Still get the ‘fancy glass’, and something is bubbling, even with zero calories and no alcohol.

Thanks!

Really? Why?
Everyplace where I have do so, from Chinatown noodle parlors to high-end restaurants, has welcomed it.
They can save on expenses, and we can avoid filling landfills with tossed-out containers. Not eating too
much at that sitting means less weight to work shedding.

Okay, I see where you’re coming from. Environmentally and fiscally responsible. Gotta admit I’d feel a little funny pulling out my own Tupperware the first time though! neener

Also better than lifting it over a big[ger] belly.

So…would tasting, then spitting be cheating?

Your fellow diners would not prefer so.

Yes, I think cheating. Zero means zero.

Peter, thanks for the update. Question: why not just cut back, and restrict yourself to a glass or two on Friday/Saturday nights? Life is for living :slight_smile:

No, no, no! Peter not only should stay the course, he should live life as a teetotaler. Just to be certain of 100% commitment, he should ship all his wines to members like you & I. I’m sure there won’t be much “evaporation loss” if he ever falls off the wagon and wants his cellar back. [wink.gif]

Good for you Peter. I’m in a similar boat right now. I haven’t had a drink since January 2nd (one Saturday night exception to that). Additionally I’m doing my best to eat better as well. Even throwing in some exercise. One of my jokes when I was feeling out of shape was that I was pushing “maximum density”. Problem was that after this holiday season I reached “super max”.

Alcohol for me has two effects. First is that it adds calories. Second is that it makes me think a bag of potato chips is a good idea.

We are going skiing with a big group of friends the last week of January, but I’d like to continue until then and see what happens. Currently down eight pounds.