TN: 13 BV Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon [Rutherford]

13 BV Beaulieu Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon [Rutherford] Consumed over 4 days. 14.5% abv. Big, dark purple wine. This is a widely available, huge production, ‘supermarket’ wine e.g. I picked this up at Costco outpost #471. Normally those attributes are pejoratives on this board, but this is a very solid wine in its style. The first two days, it showed lots of oak and tannins, as would be expected. Generally I don’t drink reds this young, but I wanted to taste it for myself right now, and see if this could be a good Cab QPR* that merits further purchase. And I made a point to drink it slowly to think about the development. On the nose I get some licorice, which turns into boysenberry flavors on the palate. The finish is 30 seconds in length. The first two days the tannins are very strong, and even though there is lots of fruit, well the tannins are big, and because I drink so little young cabernet, I’m not sure how they will evolve. By day 3 they start balancing out, and the wine is very pleasurable on day 4, more harmonious, even though still grapey. My SO doesn’t care for it, and sticks to a 2009 cru bourgoise we’ve opened to compare it to, but I can see the merits of both. I think this will keep well, and in a decade, my suspicion is that the better half might be inclined to enjoy it. These are times where I particularly miss my old tasting group - chewing through young wines is easier with more examples, and people who’ve a sense of how they age. I grasp that the changes at BV have not been painless, but its been a while since I’ve bought new releases from them, and this is one I’ll be nibbling on. B+ on the first day, and turned into an A- by day 4. In my ledger, that’s pretty good.

• We do not need lots of pure Cali Cab at our house but prior examples would be kitchen rack QPR staples like 97 Souverain, 01 Arrowood, etc.

I remember hand-selling countless cases of the BV Napa & Rutherford Cabs in the early/mid 00’s. They were $19 and $24, respectively and, for the money, fair values.

I don’t recall if they dropped in availability in my market, went up in price, or started tasting different, but both wines are not found in my area any longer.

Thanks for the note!

Thanks for the note. I bought some of these bottles for everyday drinking, but had not yet opened one. Appreciate it.

It was always a straight down the middle decent version of Napa Cab. Changed ever so slightly after 2007 but still remains a pretty decent intro to Napa, and CA Cab in general. When it’s around $20 or so, it’s worth trying.

I agree – best QPR in a long time. How was it stored during those four days?

Nothing clever, just stoppered with the cork, and left in the fridge.

No Vacuvin’ing or Coravin’ing or whatever technology is popular now.

Thx much for the note, sounds a lot better than the 2012, which I think is fairly pedestrian given the vintage accolades.