For the love of Cab Franc

I realize how underappreciated this grape can be …maybe underappreciated is harsh, should I say underconsumed? Post all your cab franc wine notes here! Let’s show some love for this tremendous grape…can be cab franc from anywhere

2007 Olga Raffault Les Picasses

Had to pop another
Great nose of Lavender, bell pepper and tobacco leaf
The palate shows tangy fresh raspberries that make it so easy to drink, it’s quite refreshing. I am drinking this way too fast, hints of chalk, wet leaves, bell pepper, balanced…this wine is wonderful.
Cheers

Did Alfert put you up to this?

Ha! :wink:

I was thinking the same thing, Carlos.

I have no tasting notes but I do have much love for Olivier Cousin’s Pur Bretton.

I have ruined MarcF!

Is the “double T” in Bretton a Freudian Slip?

Does ~50% CF count? If so, here’s a recently enjoyed gem:

1990 Dalla Valle Maya - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville

Generally consistent with a bottle I enjoyed a few weeks back, but with even greater freshness and intensity. No decant (none required). Sweet black currants, some cherry, green and white pepper and earthy notes, all balanced by the acidity. Ripe, fine-grained tannins. Such a treasure. (97 points)

Best,
Jonathan

KILLER

Made like a Cheval Blanc. I love these Dalla Valles from the early 1990s.

I’ve been buying more Le Carmes Haut Brion, which tends to have about 45% CF.

Just had the 2010 O. Raffault Les Picasses. Such a beautiful wine, perfectly refreshing and drinkable, for me it’s a Goldilocks and the three bears wine…it’s just right.

Yes…Alfert threatened to unfriend me if I didn’t.

We have to convert the non-believers into shit loving, barnyard storming, vegy chewin’, ashtray licking wine lovers. This is our campaign statement, bad start?

Well done
Had the '91 a couple years back…I was hammered at the time but remembered liking it!

Of interest

The local Loire Valley name for Cabernet Franc is Breton. This is not a reference to Bretagne, the region just north-west of the Loire, but the name of the man credited with bringing the variety to popularity in the 17th Century. Abbot Breton, of Bourgueil Abbey, planted and tended to his Cabernet Franc vines with such care that local vine growers followed his lead and began producing what was to become the Loire Valley’s signature style of red wine

This will be my next purchase…well done

I’m surprised this is approachable. I have a six-pack, gonna go break one out.

We opened a 2010 a few weeks ago and while it was fantastic, It needed a lot of air or more time in the bottle.

I’ll go open one this week just to make sure that I still hate it.

I love Cab Franc!

On Christmas we opened a 2002 Cab Franc from Mckenzie-Mueller in Carneros. It was drinking great. It opened up with plums and cherries on the nose that faded into dry leaves and cocoa. Dark fruit again on the palate, a little raspberry this time, green peppers (hello Cab Franc!), tarragon and thyme. Maybe just a touch of brett in the bottle, it had a certain funkiness I found very enjoyable.

This inspired me to pick up some Chinon daily drinkers so I can keep up the Franc obsession!

Please remove yourself from this thread!! :wink:

Carlos we know u want to come over to the dark side, do not deny your true feelings…I see right through your reaction formation…the force is strong here

Cab Franc is just about all I want to buy from WA. Sec Wines has a good selection of Raffault, no '10s. I did get some le Butte that were excessively bretty and more expensive. The '12 Raffault Les Picasses is $15. [cheers.gif]

$15…WOW!!!

R u sure this isn’t the Pueilles bottling?