Wines of Sicily - love some advice

New here but looking forward to participating! Recently got turned on to some wines from the Mount Etna region of Sicily recently that were the style of Pinot Noir but with a bit more structure. Decided to dive into the wines from Sicily for the next few weeks and would love recommendations and advice. I confess to being way more comfortable with French wines and a little intimidated with all the varietals in Italy but I do want to learn.

What wines did you try that you liked so much?

BTW, welcome.

Here’s a thread on Mt. Etna wines from a few weeks back that began with pretty much the same question: Mt. Etna Wines (Crash Course Please!) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

The nero mascalese, which is the dominant grape in most Mt. Etna wines, is very special. They can be Burgundian or like nebbiolo with a warmer heart. Lot of elegance when they’re well made, with great aromatics.

You’ll find a lot of nero d’Avola wines from Sicily but I’ve never had that really excited me. Perhaps others have had better luck.

There are some very good whites, too, with good acid, though I’ve never paid much attention to the names, I’m afraid.

I tried a Tenuta della Terre Nere Etna Rossa 2013 and a Tascante Ghiaia Nera 2012 (what I was able to get here in Boston). I have bought a few more wines from Sicily but I am thinking the non-Etna reds may be a bit jammy for my taste from what I have read but maybe not. I am trying a Planeta (white) tonight. I really have to confess to a lot of ignorance with these wines but it has become a project to learn a lot more. I find it is interesting to focus on a region for a while. I appreciate the feedback already!!

Ha! Just clicked on your link and that thread seems spot on! I will read and report back with any other questions!

Kara, if you have access to it, the 2014 Terre Nere Etna Rosso is very good for the price as well, and a wine that I believe will repay additional bottle aging.

Passopisciaro is another Etna producer that I like quite a bit.

Ever tried Feudo Montoni? I think all of their NdA are very special. A different clone, apparently, and an isolated terroir. But if you don’t like Vrucara, their top bottling, then you might as well give up Nero d’Avola.

Thanks, Tvrtko. I’ll try to track down some. I’m quite open to exploring NdA more.

Andrea Franchetti’s Passopisciaro
Arianna Occhipinti’s Frappato

I had my first Frappato on Friday. It was at a winebar and I do not recall the producer but it was very good.

You’re welcome, John :slight_smile:. Also, if you haven’t had Gulfi’s four single vineyards, as a group, I find them to be a fascinating study in terroir. At least one of the vineyards is virtually at sea level. The winemaking has been absolutely top-notch for quite a number of years now (I think Salvo Foti is still in charge there?). Of course, these are what they are, Nero d’Avola from Pachino and not exactly nebbiolo-like :slight_smile:, but they are very expressive wines, truthful, and showing lots of precision and restraint (in the context).
Also, Curto’s entry-level NdA and special bottling Fontanelle used to be very nice, comparatively lithe expressions of the variety. I haven’t had them in quite some time, but I think they might be worth checking out as well.

Thank you for all the recommendations. I will try to track some of these down. We did try a Nercapitano Frappato (my first Frappato as well) at a wine bar the other day that was very nice. It was almost a little effervescent at first but that blew off. Paired beautifully with lots of different small plates.

Last night we had Planeta ‘Cometa’ Sicilia Fiano 2014 that was very enjoyable and nicely balanced. At $38, though, I am not sure it was a great value. What do people think of the Planeta wines in general?

Next up from the wines I’ve already bought is a Morgante Don Antonio Nda 2009.

Thanks again for all the terrific feedback!

I’ll second the suggestion on Occhipinti’s Frapatto. I like her Nero d’Avola but more so are the ones that are blended with Frapatto.

As for Etna Rosso, last night with dinner at home, I had a delicious 2001 Riserva version from Patria. Ready to drink with more than sufficient complexity for a $33 bottle. This was not as intrusive in alcohol, and showed to be lesser in heft, than some of the samples that I had 3 weeks ago when the wife and I drove throughout the island.

I was not as bowled over with the 2014 Terre Nere Etna Rosso which, although was at half the price of the Patria, did not seem to be as good as the pervious vintages that I’ve had.

I also love the wines of Adriana Occhipinti. If you can find her SP68 cuvee of frappatto, it is a real treat. You may also find the COS wines interesting also. Her father is one of the winemakers and they are made using old techniques such clay amphora.

It looks like Central Bottle here in Boston carries the Occhipinti frappatto so that is on the short list. I picked up a bottle of COS Terre Siciliane Rami 2012 the other day so glad to see the recommendation.

Yes, amphora (anfore) is becoming the new trend to make wine, but often, are made by inexpert producers, especially in the area of Volcano Etna, many people from abroad (Netherland, UK, etc.), and if I remember well the singer of the Simply Red band. Just to say: hey, I’m different, hey I make extraordinary wine. Many of them finish the adventure some years after…

Anyway, about white ones:
Ansonica, Carricante, Catarratto, Catarratto Bianco Comune, Catarratto Bianco Lucido, Damaschino, Grecanico dorato, Grillo, Insolia, Inzolia , Inzolia , Iuvarella, Malvasia di Lipari, Minnella bianca, Riesling x Sylvaner, Verdina, Zibibbo.

Red ones:
Calabrese, Corinto nero, Frappato, Frappato d’Italia, Mondeuse, Nerello Cappuccio, Nerello mantellato, Nerello Mascalese, Nero d’Avola, Perricone, Pignatello, Shiraz.

Please note: if you find "Nerello Mantellato and “Iuvarella”, you are very lucky!

I have noticed signification bottle variation with the Terre Nere Rosso in most years. To me they seem to range from really good to meh and then there are the corked ones. I still buy multiple per year because when you get a good one they far exceed their price but seems to be somewhat of a roll of the dice.

Me, too. Also worth a look is her second label, Tami, two reds - Frappatto and Nero d’Avola - and one white (Grillo) that can be found at the sub-$15 price point here in NJ.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Tasca D’Almerita Nero d’Avola Lamùri. Also at the $15 or less price point, it is a very pleasing wine that appeals to different palates. A go-to wine in our house.

I am truly amazed by the responsiveness! Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and information.

I thought Giusto was an uncle, not her father?