Saxum's 2016 Winter Release

Saxum’s website says the next wave of releases will start in January and consist of:
'13 Broken Stones
'13 Bone Rock
'13 Booker
'13 Heartstone

I got Horsepower notice today

So the Spring release is now becoming a winter release as wineries compete earlier for your dollars

Seriously?! I thought I might at least get a break until Mid Feb. at some point I feel like Napa might end up looking like a futures model. Buy now…and receive wine in 2 years!

Not complaining, just commenting.

For those that have been around longer than I have…did it used to be different? Did you used to be able to buy wine at offering and expect to receive it within days or weeks?

You still might wait until mid February if you are a late waver.

If anyone plans on passing on this release I’d love the opportunity to try some of these! I realize this is a ways out but I know others will ask the same so I wanted to be the first.

Jake,
You might be best off back-filling somewhere…I’d recommend something 2009 or (preferably) older. Unless you are going to give this a 6-10 decant (will still likely show as too young), getting an older bottle at a similar price is definitely the way to go. 2005s are drinking great right now, but still need a little air after opening. Just my $0.02.

No Rocket Block, again?

There’s a 2003 up right now on Winebid. $125 opening bid.

There is a lot of mature good Saxum up on Winebid for similar price to new release

Tempting for someone like Jake whos not on mailing list yet

My allocation will come on January 19th. Anyone get an earlier date?

mine is the 12th

Jan 12th is first wave

are all the of these worth purchasing ?

which are choice?

'13 Broken Stones
'13 Bone Rock
'13 Booker
'13 Heartstone

Yep we had a 2009 and a 2011 Bone Rock side-by-side on Saturday night. The 09 was just popped and poured. It was massive, but didn’t feel like infanticide and opened up pretty well. The 2011 had been double decanted at least seven hours prior and was impenetrable. I corked the bottle with about 1/4 left and bet it will be fine tonight, three days later. Note that the 09 has a lot of Grenache and just about 60% Syrah, while the 11 was almost all Syrah. Someone new to Saxum would be way better of sourcing some 4+ year-old bottles to try.

John makes a good point. The blends change from year to year and if you have slower developers like Mourvedre, Petite Sirah or Syrah in the mix, you have to take that into account when trying to figure drinking windows and decant times.

My take:
Yes, all are worth purchasing - IF you like big, rich powerful well-made wines that, while powerful, retain elegance. The wines are high in ABV but carry it well, with good acidity to help lift the sweetness of ripe fruit.

As for the wines, Broken Stones is the most approachable at an early stage. Bone Rock and Booker need time. As I recall, Bone Rock and Booker have a higher level of syrah in their blend and in some years, Bone Rock is 100% syrah.
Heart Stone has, in general, a higher level of grenache than others and for me, that higher proportion of grenache makes for a more inviting and lively wine. Same for the James Berry Vyd, which is a fall offering.

The wines are crowd pleasers. I have shared many a Saxum with friends at all levels of wine experience and across the spectrum, they have been enjoyed. Some may pass on taking a second glass due to the level of alcohol but recognize each as being well made, engaging and enjoyable.

[cheers.gif] 12th !

PM me if you have interest in splitting or taking my order. I’m in the first wave.

BTW. If you expect an immediate response or perfect correspondence and timely replies, don’t PM me. I got lots of Shit going on wine is not one of them.

How many magnums do you normally have access to on the first wave ? is it just 1 of each or can you buy as many as you want on a first come first serve basis

We barely have time to financially recover from the Fall release and Christmas and BAM more allocation offerings in Jan. Ouch!!! [wow.gif] [swearing.gif] hitsfan