TN: 07 Drouhin [Chorey les Beaune]

07 Drouhin [Chorey les Beaune] served cool, over two days, with a pan roasted steelhead trout on one of the days. It’s a fish that’s similar to salmon in taste/color so goes well with pinot. 13% abv. translucent light red, bricking at the edges, light bodied. Nose of cinammon and amaretto. no acid nor tannin. drinks fine without food. to my tastes, a shade light on the fruit. (we had a 14 Sanford Santa Rta Hills pinot for lunch, and that was way fruit forward) Personally would drink this now. There’s some cranberry on the palate. Finish is short may 10 seconds. It’s ok, but at least is not tart/unripe. I don’t drink much pinot/burgundy other than when we’re having salmon, so take my observations with some caution. I’d give it a C+ or B-. I’ve generally like the fleshier, fruitier New World pinots more. Not sure I can (or have ever) really appreciated these so I’ll stick to the basic village level wines.

I had my second and last bottle of this with a slab of honey/jalapeno roast salmon, which was an ok, but not great pairing. It’s a leaner, finesse wine. It took a few days to finish and - surprisingly - drank best on day 3 although only a glass was left then.

All in, I guess I’d give it a low B. I prefer new world pinot when we’re having one.