TN: 2000 Chateau Cantemerle [popped another tonight]

I love this estate. Classic, honest, doesn’t try to be anything more than it is.

This 2000 is wide open, completely in its drinking window. Decanted for an hour, enjoyed over a long dinner. Beautiful bouquet of cassis, red fruits, tobacco and some leather notes, all framed by soft cedar. Medium weight on the palate, sweet red fruits, some blacks, more earthy, leather notes and sweet tobacco leaves. Grainy texture, soft tannins, slighly clipped finish. This is an excellent, transparent, classic wine. As I just reloaded on more 2010, was psyched to see how well this 2000 is drinking only 15 years out.

(92 pts.)

It is really amazing. I think I bought two cases on release for around $25 – thought of it as a basic daily drinker – but way too good for that (at least in this household). Great qpr.

Robert’s spot-on note reminds that I wish I had more of this. One of the great 00 QPRs.

Salud! Feliz dia de accion de gracias.

Awesome. I love this producer as well. Such a great value.

J

Didn’t the production style/process change between 2000 and 2010?

I remember having various vintages in the 90’s and generally being nonplussed.

But all the BWE commenters rave about the 2010.

The 1996 is really good too. I’ve had some 2000 that seemed a little over bright though (purchased in 2010). Storage is so important.

2010 Cantemerle is real solid…tasted on release…complex, plenty of structure, should age well

Thanks for the note Robert. I have some of this in 2000, time for a check in.

Popped another, 13 months later and showing very very well. My note from 2015 is pretty dead-on accurate to the bottle I am drinking right now. Lovely stuff. Really love the funk nose. Hard to replicate that classic Bordeaux perfume. Blows me away how the “modernists” are walking away from this beautiful material.

Fan of Cantermerle, for sure.

Wonder if you thought it was Burgundy, perhaps? [cheers.gif]

Not since Happy Hour.

Surprisingly, a 2005 out of 375 did not show well for me recently. Had an odd astringency to it. Still young, so perhaps something positive evolves. I have an '83 that I’ve been meaning to pop . . . .

One I wish I had bought back then.

My favorite Cantemerle are the 82, 83, 89 and 96, not necessarily in that order. I really, really would like it if the 05, 09 and 10 become as good someday (I have lots of these three vintages resting downstairs).

Nice note on a nice wine. Wish I still had some. Waiting on some younger bottles, like Pat.

David, it was showing equally well on night two, with more of a tobacco note. Lovely wine.