William Fevre Valmur Chablis Grand Cru 2008

The nose and taste has a nutty flavour to it. Is this premox or the house style? Still some green apple fruit and acid on the backend.

Sounds premox to me. Sorry bout that. When Fevre is on they are great!

Premox. Just had an 08 Fevre les clos that was very pleasant nutty apple cider. Here’s hoping that extending diam corks to the entire range will help.

Jacob,

Sounds like premox. Here’s a pristine bottle I had last month:

• 2008 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (11/6/2015)
    I love these 2008 Fèvres … this one without a hint of premox … Just beautiful. A shade lighter than the Montée de Tonnerre (stored better?). A lovely lime/lemon citric nose with chalk, sea salt and a touch of tropical fruit. On palate, precise, pinpoint acidity. Serious, clearly Grand Cru fruit weight. Very well balanced. The flavours match the bouquet: lemon, rock melon, green apple, oyster shell, with a touch of the tropical. The acids provide a spine, with a long dry marble finish. Give it another 3-10+ years cellar time. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

:frowning: thanks everyone

Jacob, not under diam? (I thought my Valmur was).

Cheers, Howard

Definitely not Diam
image.jpeg

Yes. Maybe I was wrong about mine. (Your cork looks pristine too. But that’s no indication obviously).

I hate premox. My commiserations.

Howard

Starting with the 07 vintage, Fevre’s 1er crus all got diam and the grand crus got cork…taking a look at cellartracker notes, none of the 1er cru wines have reports of premox, where the grand crus do have some. So there’s hope (more than just hope) that Diam, and other similar, will be a piece of the solution.

Wow…that would be nice if it fixed the problem. Hard to imagine that it’s only the cork though…

had a LeFlaive Puligny 07 under diam that was horribly premoxed, so tried another from the same case, and it was perfect and still young. Makes me think it isn’t the cork.

I’m not convinced that it’s all the cork either, but I’ve also yet to have a Fevre under diam that was premoxed. It’s very disappointing all around, but little more disappointing with Fevre since they have been one of the few estates that has been fairly upfront and proactive about the issue.

I agree premox isn’t likely to be caused solely by cork. In fact, the BIVB (organization in Burgundy) did an extensive study (in 2002-2006 time frame, tho I forget the exact start/end dates) on premox. One of their results was there’s no single cause of premox (as reported by the BIVB, I haven’t seen the results but would love to), which confirms it’s not just the closure.

The 07/08 Fevre 1er vs grand cru record so far is tantalizing tho. Hopefully Diam/similar closures (and the other things Fevre has done wrt premox) is a part of a real solution, rather than just delaying premox. If it just delays ‘normal maturity’ and the risk of premox then we’ll have a wider window to drink in a youthful phase, but won’t have made progress in drinking great mature white burgs/chablis. Hoping we can get there.