TN: Three With Dinner...(short/boring)

Tried these three at dinner last night:

1. Tulocay CabSauv EganVnyd/NapaVlly (13.8%) Napa 1982: Med.dark color w/ little bricking; classic herbal/NapaCab light toasty/oak/cedary slight minty bit bretty still somewhat youthful rather old-timey Napa Cab nose; lightly tart slight tangy/metallic rather herbal/Cab/dusty/earthy/mushroomy very light cedary/toasty/oak flavor w/ light slightly astringent tannins; very long herbal/Cab earthy/dusty/mushroomy light toasty/cedary/oak complex finish w/ light bitey tannins; a very old-timey NapaCab, the likes of which are seldom made anymore, that is still hanging in there and a pleasant mature Cab to drink.

1. Ronco dei Ciliegi Brix VdT: ModiglianaHills (12.34%; 100% Sangiovese; NealEmpsonImpts; www.ronchidicastelluccio.it) GianMatteo Baldinelli/Modigliana 1982: Med.color w/ some bricking; rather earthy/dusty/mushroomy some plummy/licorice/cherry/black cherry bit metallic/rusted metal quite interesting nose w/ little fruit; lightly tart rather cedary/pencilly/smokey light plummy/licorice/cherry/black cherry some earthy/mushroomy/dusty rather tangy/metallic interesting flavor; long bit tart/tangy/metallic/lean light licorice/plummy/cherry/Sangio slight cedary/pencilly finish w/ light tangy/bitey tannins; drying out a bit but still very much alive and quite interesting old Sangio. $11.80 (K)

1. Idlewild Valdiguie EnzenauerVnyd/DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (12.3%) 2014: Med.dark color; very strong fruity/Gamay/spicy/bright some earthy/Mendo tomatoey bit cinnamon somewhat rustic quite interesting nose; fairly tart rather earthy/Mendo tomatoey bright/fruity/Gamay/spicy/cinnamon flavor w/ light gentle tannins; med.long earthy/dusty/OV/Mendo tomatoey some fruity/bright/Gamay/grapey finish w/ light tannins; speaks strongly of OV MendoCnty; not as bright/fruity/exuberant as BoneJolly but edging towards a good Julienas. $32.65

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Pulled out last night from my orphan stash in the garage one of the few remaining boxes that had some interesting stuff. Nearly 20 yrs in totally uncontrolled temps, standing upright. These first two were from that box. I expected them to be totally shot. They were not…in amazingly good shape for abandoned wines. Not a profound experience…but offering up some pleasurable/interesting drinking w/ my leftover risotto.

1. Tulocay: This would be BillCadman. He made two NapaVlly Cabs, EganVnyd and CliffVnyd. Both were classic old-timey Napa Cabs, the likes of which we seldom see anymore. Bill never got the credit he deserves for some extraordinary Cabs and Pinots he made back in the '80’s.

1. Modigliana: This is a town in Emilia-Romagna. Estate was founded in the '70’s. You don’t hear much of wine from this area. I bought it because of the name “Baldinelli” on the label. I used to be a big fan of the BaldinelliVnyd Zins. According to Ed Baldinelli, this was the area from which his family originated. I gifted Ed & Kay a btl of this way back when. This is now the location of VinoNoceto and EastonVnyds.
    Tom

Tom
I still regret not having a punt on some Castelluccio that came up at auction a few years ago. Guide prices were low and I doubt they exceeded the guide price. I only baulked at it because it came in 48 bottle lots, and that would have been (and still would be ) an awful lot of one wine in a modest collection.
There is good Sangiovese in E-R, but not really enough good producers yet to really drive that message home.
regards
Ian