TN: 2005 Lopez de Heredia Vina Gravonia Crianza Blanco

This wine is really delicious, and gets better as the level drops in the decanter. It had excellent acidity, lemon, apple and bonus pineapple flavors as it warms in the glass. Moderate oxidation adds nut and sherry flavors to the experience. Inoffensive oak. It’s viscous and texturally reminiscent of white Chateauneuf.

The wine is dry, the experience sweet: a sapid ten-year old white, off the shelf, under $30. I’ll buy more to drink over the next few years, and maybe one or two for later.

I love this stuff. Not for everybody, though.

Sweet. I have a bottle lined-up for consumption in the near future. Sounds like I’ll be re-upping. [cheers.gif]

A good thing-means more for us.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and that you post on it.

I have a bottle of the 2004 waiting to be opened and would be interested to know what do people eat with wines like this? Can it be something simple like pan fried fresh fish or what would be considered ideal?

I had it with salmon sauteed in the wine, with garlic, onions and mushrooms. The '05 has such great acidity that it could probably stand up to a creamy sauce as well. Hope you enjoy your '04!

My favorite foods with this wine (and Musar blanc, too) is roasted chicken. Other birds would work well, too, but roasted chicken really is superb with this kind of wine.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I’m gonna choose between them when the time is right for this one. I’m sure I’m gonna enjoy the wine just fine, it’s my girlfriend I’m worried about :smiley:

There was a time, a year or two ago, when you could buy this in the UK from a Spanish website for about 10 euros a bottle, including shipping. And the 1998 Reserva Blanco could be had for 18 euros, including shipping. The steal of all steals.

The crianza blanco is a wonderful food wine. It does indeed go well with roast chicken, but I also think it makes a nice pairing with all kinds of Mediterranean and middle eastern food. Even as a pairing with just hummus and tabouli it would be great.

Thanks for the reminder. I like this wine and need to revisit it.

I got my bottle of the 2004 for 12 € a year ago in Barcelona, so it doesn’t seem that the prices have gone up all that much in Spain at least.