TN: 1929 Bordeaux Blanc

1929 Merin D’Or - Graves blanc (Bordeaux, France)

I bought this bottle in France some years ago. A bottle like this needs be shared with like minded friends at the right time. Well, I had two special friends visiting me from the USA. Both are true characters in their own right, and they have both inspired me in my life. As a couple, they take that friendship to a higher level. Their warmth of friendship and sharing of life is an example to us all.

I chose this bottle as a aperitif before we headed out to a North London venue for dinner. I had chilled this bottle in the fridge for a few hours. Popped and poured. The cork came out 95% in one piece. The dark amber colour was a good sign, given the legendary status of the hot, dry 1929 vintage in Bordeaux that I have read about. Some funk on the nose which blows away after about 10 mins. The nose implies a fine sweetness, and Madame makes a comparison to Chateau Yquem’s Ygrec. The palate is a different animal. Dried apricots and peaches make an appearance after about 15 minutes. The acidity is truly stunning and carries the dried fruit admirably. This wine is drinking perfectly at peak now and not in decline. My friends are more experienced fine wine drinkers than me, and they were in awe of this bottle, as was I. My thanks to them as I opened this bottle because they were here.

Sharing is caring.

Another beautiful note and story Nicos. It’s funny, all this talk about counterfeit heavy lumber treasures in the auction arena and yet you seem to source many wonderful aged bottles that are far from that yet very satisfying. Bravo!

[cheers.gif]

A ninety year cork ? That cant be the original surely

Thank you Mark.

Alan, it looked original to me.

Nice…my '01 Smith Haut Lafitte’s are darker [swearing.gif] than that '29…

Beautiful pictures and great story.

We once had a La Tour Blanche from that same period and it was the color of pancake syrup.

I’m a bit embarrassed to chime in after reading Nicos’s very kind words, but do feel moved to reinforce his evaluation of this bottle. It was superb, a true miracle of proper storage and aging, along with the hot vintage and the right level of acid. Such stunning balance! Many wines this old become more curiosities than sources of pleasure, but this was an absolute delight to drink, from a purely sensory point of view. The intellectual element only added. I have no doubt the cork was original. Before opening the bottle, we noted the short capsule, revealing a beautiful and properly branded cork.

No one is more generous with his wines than Nicos. Thank you again for sharing this rare treat.

Bravo Nicos, keep up the good work!

All the new toasty oak treatment? [wow.gif]

Great story. Just out of curiosity where did you go to dinner. I was just in London and enjoyed several wonderful restaurants.

Thank you for your kind words, especially Sarah.

Russell, we do try to ‘work hard’ in London, as you know. :wink:

Dave, this was a Greek restaurant in North London. What were your standout restaurants in London? :slight_smile:

That’s a damn cool bottle of wine, Nicos. :slight_smile:

Btw, how’d you happen to know this was a late harvest wine? Surely, a dry white of this age would prove undrinkable, right?

Thanks Mark.

I do not know that this was a late harvest wine. However, the 1929 vintage in Bordeaux was blessed with a hot growing season, from what I have read. Therefore, even usually dry white wines would have more ‘richness’ and concentration. These factors and excellent long term storage have contributed to what was a stunning bottle of wine.

Wow. I assumed that was preserved through noble rot. I can’t believe that was drinkable. What a lucky treat.
[wow.gif]

Nicos, was this a birth year wine for you. neener

Hope that you are doing well.

Howard, I am doing quite well, thank you. I trust the winter sun is shining in your life. :slight_smile: