TN: Barolo & Burgs with Ed Z & Chris Thile

Ed Zimmerman generously put together this dinner of wine lovers, tech people, and musicians. The guest of honor was Chris Thile, a brilliant musician, a lover of Nebbiolo, and soon to be the new host of A Prairie Home Companion.

The food at White Street is excellent. The Kobe beef in particular was heaven.

You can find photos and more details on my website:

http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2015-07-08_EdZ_WhiteStreet/

Flight 1: Whites while standing.

Flight 2: Bollinger Champagne.

Flight 3: Whites from Jura and Burgundy.

• 2007 Jean-François Ganevat Côtes du Jura Cuvée Marguerite - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura
    Magnum. From Chardonnay planted in 1902. Only sold in magnums. Complex fruit salad nose. Soft and complex in the mouth. A delicious wine that I would not have guessed is made from Chardonnay due to its flavors and softness. A very appealing wine. (95 pts.)
  • 2000 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Stunning nose of minerals and lemon custard. Complex and super long in the mouth. I would say this is at its peak now. I liked this even better than the Montrachet that followed it. (97 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru
    Muted marzipan nose. Rich, buttery, young and fairly simple at this point. Likely to show much better in 5-10 years. 95-?? (95 pts.)

Flight 4: Barolo

• 1989 Vietti Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From magnum. Brought by Mannie Berk. Decanted around 7:30pm. Gorgeous nose of red fruit and minerals. Complex, tannic, long. Classic 1989 Barolo. Still young and rich from magnum. Many years ahead. (96 pts.)
  • 1989 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From 2 750s. Amazing. Even better than the 89 Vietti Rocche. Bright nose of black berries and earth. Just wow. A great wine that could get even a bit better. This bottle has exuberant fruit. Mannie says the other bottle is equally good, but a bit more restrained. (97 pts.)
  • 1970 Vietti Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Oxidized, cinnamon nose. Sour and completely oxidized. NR (flawed)

Flight 5: Barbaresco and Barolo

• 1989 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    From magnum. Brought by me from Chambers Street. Double decanted at 1pm. Served around 10pm. Something is off in the nose initially, but blows off after 15 minutes in the glass. Still youthful nose of bright cherries. More mature in the mouth. Appealing sour cherry. This would have gone quite well in front of the two 1989 Barolos to show the very typical difference between Barolo and Barbaresco. This is gorgeous in its own right, but doesn’t have quite the power of those 2 Barolos. (94 pts.)
  • 1964 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From 2 750s. OMFG! Just stunning wine. Amazingly youthful. Following the 1989 Monprivato, I would guess this is mostly from that great vineyard. Brilliant wine. Made by Mauro’s father. (97 pts.)
  • 1961 Vietti Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From 750. I am just overwhelmed by the generosity of our host. Another impeccable old wine. Smoky sweet mature, but fully alive. At that peak where it has no more up side, but has not started on the downside. What a wine! Made by Luca’s dad, Alfredo Currado. What a testament to that great pioneer. (96 pts.)

Flight 6: Georges Mugneret Red Burgundy

Flight 7: 2004 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne

• 2004 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne Sibi et Paucis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From a magnum brought by Alex Michas. His company, Vintus, imports this now. Decanted in the afternoon. “Sibi et Paucis” in Latin literally means “For Himself and a Few”. It is the name for a fairly new library release program by Sandrone. This wine is still seriously young. Lovely perfumed nose of flowers and red fruit. In the mouth, there is thick dark black fruit nearly covering huge tannins. Great structure, but a bit short at this point. Needs a lot of time. 93-?? (93 pts.)

What can I say but many thanks to Ed and all the participants for a wonderful evening!

Posted from CellarTracker

That sounds like an amazing time. Love Chris Thile – even more now that I know he’s into Nebbiolo --and love the fascinating “dinner party” mix of people.

Ken, sounds like one heck of an evening. The Mascarello and Vietti really shined. So cool to hear Chris Thile is both a neb-head and hosting APHC. A few years ago my wife and I spent a weekend at Blackberry Farm and Chris was there playing solo. Amazing mandolin player.

He’s a great guy to chat with as well.

The wife of Leo F, our favorite Croatian, is a huge fan of Chris Thile. When I posted on fb that Chris is a big Nebbiolo fan, Leo said, “No wonder he can’t afford a full-sized guitar.” :wink:

Some great wines and an incredible musician as your guest. IMHO he is a rare musicians whose instrument is only a means of getting the music from his heart to others. If you haven’t heard this, check it out. One camera, one take of him playing Bach on mandolin - Chris Thile - Bach: Sonata No. 1 in G Minor, BWV 1001 (Complete) - YouTube Simply awe inspiring.

I’m a big fan. I would have gone to the event had you been serving Bud Lite.

The Punch Brothers are playing here in December. We’re planning a Nebbiolo dinner if you want to fly over…

Well…will you be serving Bud Lite, too?

I won’t name names, but 2 guys in my old Barolo group have been known to consume a Bud (not lite) after tasting 15 or so of the greatest Nebbiolos ever made.

During the dinner, he compared Nebbiolo to Bach. He said it is contrapuntal like Bach with multiple complex themes playing at different levels at the same time, different but fitting together. I rather liked that.

I used to use that analogy for red Burgundy, but I guess it works for Barolo as well.

Man, if the Big Bang had delivered nothing other than that, it would have all been worth it.

Amazing lineup and great notes as always, Ken. Thanks!