cabernet franc question

We are hosting a cabernet franc tasting in some weeks. The goal is to set up top cabernet franc wines from all around the world against eachother. However I have noticed it is not that easy to find top wines made from cabernet franc alone. For example Paleo, magnacosta, several red loire wine (clos rougeard, baudry,…), pride cabernet franc come to mind but I asume we’re just not aware of most top wines.

therefore my questions: which top wines should certainly be on the list and are there any wines that could give Loire Cabernet Francs a run for their money?

while a different “style” of cab franc, for sure, i have to say that I’ve been pretty smitten with Detert’s CF. I think it successfully rides that line between new world ripeness with old world flavors. That said, I haven’t had the chance to open their current '12 CF (my fave from them is their '08).

RAATS Family Cabernet Franc (South Africa)

Without knowing where you are located or if you’re ITB it’s hard to make suggestions about sourcing, and depending upon what you want to charge per head even some ‘top’ wines like Clos Rougeard may be cost-prohibitive.

For CA I would keep in mind Lang & Reed and Crocker-Starr from Napa.

I’m in Belgium. The goal is that everyody brings something but some people don’t have anything in the cellar so I can guide them in a direction :wink:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/raats+cabernet+franc/1/belgium

Top cab francs would be:

Quintarelli Alzero
Cheval Blanc
Clos Rougeard

However, those wines are all out of my price range. Or at least the first two certainly are and the third is fairly scarce and rather pricey as well. For Loire its hard to go wrong with Baudry, Breton and Joguet.

FYI, Cheval Blanc is only 57% cab franc.

Yeah, but on name and bringing something very unique to the table I’d think it would be a welcome addition to any tasting. Anything with a larger CF component made in BDX?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/macchiole+paleo+rosso/2011/belgium

Fair enough.

The Petit Cheval second wine has the highest level of cab franc in Bordeaux, according to Jeff Leve’s website.

Isn’t Le Dome 100% franc?

Edit: Nope, one website says 75-80% franc.

I think it says 60% on that link

As someone said, RAATS makes a good cab franc from SA. So does Chamonix, although I haven’t a clue if it will be available in Belgium.

Also, I’m fairly certain that there are 100% Cab Franc wines in Bordeaux, even if they aren’t as famous. Chat. de Pitray, for example, has a 100% Cab Franc.

There are some great Cabernet Franc on the North Fork of Long Island.

Along those lines, I believe the Paumanok Cabernet Franc Grand Vintage is the best example in that area. For Long Island, I believe his Cabernet Franc shows the best.

Red Hook Winery makes a killer Cab Franc…check em out. I also am +1 on Crocker & Starr Cab Franc…excellent

Can you get Paumanok in Belgium?

Jeff Leve posted somewhere on this site a Bordeaux that is 100% cab franc.

RAATs is quite nice, shows the Cab Franc characteristics that I adore. I have not found any from the U.S. That really work for me.

For the OP, get a representative showing from all the Cab Franc little regions in Loire, such as Chinon, Saumur and Bourgueil. If you wanna get real geeky, find some Franc de Pieds to toss in.

Broc Cellars bottles a very nice Cab Franc from SB county grapes that should be available. I’ve also enjoyed Lo-Fi’s version.