TN: 2012 Storm Pinot Noir Vrede (South Africa, Walker Bay, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley)

An impressive PN from SA! Darker in color and a little more savage. Reminds me of a Chevillon ler Cru NSG. Definite depth and length with a velvety rather than silky texture. Raspberry, touch of black cherry and spice. Perhaps this will see more finesse down the line but very enjoyable now with no hard edges. Good energy. Neither heavy or ponderous but also not feminine or delicate in its feel. Paid $45 and that’s about right. Solid value. A characterful, “from somewhere”, wine. 13.5% ALC From the former longtime winemaker at Hamilton Russell. I like this better than the HR PN I’ve tried. 92+ Thinking of grabbing a couple more to cellar long term. Here’s to the smaller wine stores, like Sunfish locally, who have the courage to buy and hand sell wines like this. 92+pts

Thanks for thoughtful note. Quality South African wines are great when you feel like you are in a wine rut.

Eager to try this wine as I’m a Chevillon and Hamilton Russell fan.

I have been thinking about acquiring this; thanks for the note.

Thanks for the note, Craig. I’ve been wanting to try some good S.A. Pinots, but didn’t really know which ones to look for. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for this one. [cheers.gif]