Here we go...2015 harvest in Burgundy is about to begin

Thanks to Bill for his customarily excellent coverage.

Sounds like an exciting vintage (at this early early stage)!

Thanks for posting it!

Yep, most are calling it like 2005 and so pick whites early and reds later once tannins have softened. We have Beaune 1er Cru “Les Grèves” Blanc and Santenay 1er Cru “Les Gravières” Blanc on the 1st and may have all our whites in before a single red. We’ll see!

I suspect that, with the comparison of 2015 to 2005 and Jancis’ recent gushing over 2005, that this is going to be a VERY expensive vintage on release. Hopefully 2014 gets overlooked in the meantime.

well then they should certainly jack up the price.

Is the comparison really only “whites are really early and reds are later”? The growing season between 05/15 don’t seem that similar.

twitter has been a great resource to follow winemakers. jeremy seysses from dujac has been posting often

https://twitter.com/JeremySeysses

Thanks for the link to Jeremy’s Twitter. Great info.

Have a great trip to Burgundy Charlie. Keep us updated on your perspective. It will be interesting to hear your pov from the front line.

Looks like it’ll be raining when I get there. Wonder how it’ll change up red harvest.

Funny you mention that. My folks are headed over later this week. I took a look at the forecast and noticed the same. The rain might be a wrench in the works of a 2nd 2005…

Regardless of the rain I can assure you the evenings are feeling an awful lot like autumn. Which serves well when you’re eating French food. And washing it down with Burgundy. Enjoy!

There is zero rot pressure so rain is not an issue, in fact it may help reduce % alcohol which is creeping up ahead of phenolic maturity. Just not too much please so that berries burst! I’m starting whites today (Beaune and Santenay) before Beaune red on Monday and Savigny white and red next week.

You’re forecast looks a sight better than ours’ here in CH. Enjoy and very best wishes for a successful harvest.

On Bill’s red diary there are news of hail and very heavy rain in Chablis…

I saw the pics this morning in the email from Bill. Terrible timing. No news on extent of damage…

No problem if they wait until after SEptember 7th as the weather forecast becomes favorable. Current rain is rather good news and a few more days will improve phenolic maturation.

September 1st 2015

The splendid weather in July has been followed by an August, which, if not quite so continuously hot and sunny, has been for the most part equally good, particularly towards the end of the month.

And it has continued dry. There have been, thankfully, no storms, no hail, and no threat of rot. Indeed the vines are in magnificent condition. The advance weather forecast for September tells us that it will cool over the first ten or so days, but then warm up again. The harvest will start during the next week or so, and all indications are that it will be both plentiful and successful. Just what Burgundy needs. It’s all smiles here!

True, I can imagine. The big question is what will happen with the prices. Prices have stayed high in recent “difficult” vintages with the excuse that the quantities were so low that producers could not afford to go down. Will they be stable in 2014 and then jump up again in 2015? I am horrified by the perspective of yet another price increase…

I was going to say the falling euro might help, but I don’t know how the franc is faring.

I don’t know about 2014, but I suspect we’ll see increased prices for both vintages. At least the Burgundians aren’t traditionally as greedy as the Bordelais, so we can hope for moderation.

I’m sure they will not go down and would not be surprise if the go up for 5% to10% for 2014 and 10% to 15% for 2015 and then level for next few years.

Can’t complain about the franc, which gained about 15% overnight with respect to the euro at the beginning of the year. This certainly helped to swallow the stable 2013 prices.