Clos St Denis

I am particularly fond of Clos St Denis, even more so than CdlR or Clos de Tart (never had any Lambrays) within MSD. I have Dujac, Lucien le Moine, and Arlaud in my cellar. Any other good producers to try? Any good vintage experience?

Drouhin makes a killer CSD. The aromatics+palate are incredibly floral/femme. Tiny Clos to boot.

Just realized I have some Clos St Denis from Henri Jouan too!

Ponsot is said to be reference standard, in addition to Dujac. I’ve had good examples from Jadot, Lignier-Michelot, and Heresztyn. I’ve not had examples from Amiot-Servelle, Leroux, Charlopin, Michel Magnien, Marchand-Tawse, Roche de Bellene, Arlaud, or Le Moine.

Jadot and Dominique Laurent have both made very good CSD.

I believe the Henri jouan is the same as drouhin for csd right?

Really? You mean Jouan sells grape to Douhin regularly? I have some '13 Henri Jouan CSD, so that should be from Jouan’s own bottling.

Heresztyn is an interesting name, I can get those wines at very good prices too. Any particular vintage I should look out for?

According to Allen Meadows, Heresztyn has become Heresztyn-Mazzini and is now using more stems. I haven’t tried the 2013 or 2012, but they both got good reviews in Burghound. Of the previous vintages from Heresztyn, I tasted good examples from 08, 06, 05, 02, 01, and 99. I didn’t taste anything from 2011, 2010 or 2009.

I have their 05 and only tried it once and caught it pretty shut down. Have one bottle left I’m holding on to.

Slight thread drift but their Gevry C Les Corbeaux is a beautiful wine and one of my favorites GC’s. They are priced well when you can find them.

Great! I have access to the recent vintages of Corbeaux too, will order some.

Jadot makes a very nice CSD that’s a relative bargain.

Has anyone had an extensive tasting of the Ponsot’s CSD? I enjoy the CDLR from the Domaine but never had the CSD. Judging from WS, prices are higher as well . . . worth the tariff?

Thanks.

Also, Jadot’s CSD (Domain parcel via Gagey) are ~80 year old vines.

Domaine Georges Lignier, which I have always considered very underrated, especially given their great holdings, also makes a wonderful CSD. I wish I had had the discipline to have aged the ones I owned in the late '80s/early '90s, but…I think they’re all gone.

Apparently , they are the largest holder in the 6.6 hectare vineyard with 1/4 hectare and have some of the oldest vines, too. Hadn’t known that…Domaine Georges Lignier & Fils | Rosenthal Wine Merchant

Jouan grapes. Not sure whether Jouan sells grapes or something else to drouhin. Believe that is also the source of Drouhin’s Clos Sorbe

I have not tasted extensively but I will say the 1988 is one of the most delicious bottles of Burgundy I have ever drunk.

Had the 01 recently (Chezeaux label). Excellent. Jadot’s version usually outstanding.

I love the Dujac CSD. I haven’t had enough Ponsot to really compare, but I have had some older Ponnelle CSDs from the 50s which were excellent. My understanding is that those grapes are now with Ponsot. I also agree that Jadot makes some very nice wines from CSD at a relative bargain. I’ve found them for less than $150 per bottle in recent vintages on occasion.
Edit: Roumier inherited many of the Ponnelle grapes. Not sure what I was thinking. I’m also not sure where the CSD holdings went as I know I’ve had Ponnelle CSD wines in the past. Maybe negotiant?

Stephane Magnien makes an excellent CSD.

When I visited Jouan they showed me the barrels of CSD that were holding wine destined for Drouhin. They told me Drouhin drops off the empty barrels and picks them up full when elevage is finsihed. It was winter 2010 when we visited so I don’t know for sure if its the same setup these days.

I think they are a great match as Jouan makes wine in the elegant manner in which Drouhin excels.