TN: 2001 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve

• 2001 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve - California, Napa Valley (8/27/2015)

Opened ~6:30pm, decanted for 2 hours and drank for two and half hours.
Tasted about 15 minutes from opening, and it was still very fruit front. Two hours decant made huge difference: Brought in the earthy boutique notes, leather and tobacco and dry tree on the nose (as noted by other tasters as well). IMHO, the earthy notes did not donimate but actually integrated well with the fruit notes and berries, especially after 2 hours. Mineral tastes noted on the background, and nice cassis on nose and palate. Medium plus finish that got longer over the evening, as well as the more ‘chocolate’ notes that were added. I give it 93+ at the beginning, and probably 94+ at the two hours and more line (maybe even 95 have we had more time to enjoy it).
Side note - at first, it felt like a wine that has less age on it than '01, but towards the third hour it really reached an excellent spot.

The only bottle we had, and it has years ahead of it (now somewhat sorry we drank it :slight_smile: ). May quest for another bottle with good history of storage conditions. (This one sat in temp. control since release) (94 pts.)

berin01-c.jpg
berin01-1.jpg
berin01-0.jpg

I had a shitload of magnums of this wine, gave away a bunch, then drank a few and regretted every one I gave away…other than charity giveaways. All gone now.

Good to see 750s holding strong.