TN: 2008 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon

• 2008 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (8/27/2015)
    A perfect choice on a day where temperatures reached 108 degrees. A floral, slightly restrained nose, softening over time. Savory, and a touch oily in texture. Beautiful flavors on the palate: quince, pear, mango and a touch of lanolin. Loads of minerality. Great precision, with cutting acidity which balanced the fruit. This level of complexity and ageworthiness, with no premox. Is there a better value out there for French whites? (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Gorgeous wine

Agree on the quality and QPR of these but I’m pretty sure there’s been some here who’ve experienced premox with this bottling, (2002’s?). Personally, with a handful of vintages back to '02 I’ve not seen it.

Total agreement, Jonathan.
My bottle three weeks ago was awesome.
My note is right below yours in CT.
I just scored a couple more locally from my fave shop!

Was it cork or screwcap? Didn’t they switch to screwcap at some point for this bottling?

Screwcap indeed, thanks.

I want to say they transitioned to screw cap with the '05’s (maybe '04’s).

The 02 is fantastic and it is time to dig out my last bottles.

The 2008 Clos du Papillon is a really nice wine. For my palate it is a notch behind the 2002, 2005 and 2010, but ahead of so many others.

I love the 2002 - I’ve not had an oxidised bottles, out of the 4 or 5 I have had from a case bought some time ago.

Re screwcaps, Clos du Papillon went under screwcap for the first time in 2003, followed by the Quarts de Chaume in 2004.