Cayuse Is Live

The Cayuse store is now open. I was happy to see the price of the mag stay reasonable. Hopefully, I get something off of my wish list. For anyone making the trip in Spring, I’ll see you there.

No offer for me yet. ;( What are all the wines being offered here?

Alex ;
2014 WIDOWMAKER 3 X 750 ML
2014 FLYING PIG 3 X 750 ML
2014 EN CERISE SY 3 X 750 ML
2014 EN CHAMBERLIN SY 3 X 750 ML
2014 BIONIC FROG SY 3 X 750 ML
2013 WALLAH WALLAH SPECIAL#5 MAG
2013 GOD ONLY KNOWS 3 X 750 M
2013 ARMADA SY 3 X 750 ML

Only “new to me” thing I got this year was the WALLAH WALLAH SPECIAL#5 MAG. I’m thinking of passing on it because I pretty much never open magnums and I’ve already spent a lot on wine in the last month or so. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

what is the typical wait time to get onto their list. I am at 3 years and just wondering how much longer I have to salivate waiting…

I’ve heard wait time is 4-5 years. Cayuse only offers one time per year (as far as I know), so everything gets offered right now.

Looks like wines went up $5/btl from last year, and the mag is up $10 over the previous one (currently $175).

I bought what was offered and continued my perennial wish for Pig.

Easiest expensive vino purchase each year.

Curious about the prices? Seems like I’m on wait lists so long that by the time I get an offer, the pricing is out of my reach!

What’s the word on the '13 & '14 vintages?

Jeb seems to like the '13s across the board from Cayuse. I tend to align with his palate, so they sound good to me.

A friend last night told me he’s been on the wait list 8 years and still no offer. I suppose it’s possible something else intervened along the way and is the reason he still isn’t getting an offer (e.g. they sent an email asking you to reconfirm in order to stay on the waiting list but it went into his spam folder), but since someone happened to mention it to me last night, I figured I’d share.

The word is…that they’re a reliable producer year in, year out. [cheers.gif]

Alex,

They offer their entire selection. You only get to buy what you are allocated and can wishlist whatever you want. Here is the list of wines offered:

13 God Only Knows
13 Armada Syrah
13 The Lovers
13 Wallah Wallah Special Mag
14 Cailloux Viognier
14 Edith Grenache Rose
14 Camaspelo
14 Flying Pig
14 En Chamberlin Syrah
14 En Cerise Syrah
14 Cailloux Syrah
14 Bionic Frog Syrah
14 Impulsivo
14 Widowmaker

As am I. I am one of those dudes who has been waiting a long time on the wait list, and since that time the prices have creeped up. So, what are they getting for these wines nowadays?

Here is what I am offered, per bottle.
13 Armada Syrah- $85
14 Cailloux Syrah- $75
13 WALLAH WALLAH SPECIAL#5 MAG- $175

Data point (I just looked back through my email history): I joined the waitlist in 2008 and got my first offer in 2010.

They only offer wines you have a history of in previous offers which is smart. I stopped buying flying pig and Impulsivo long ago. I am not allocated those wines even though I have been on the list from the beginning. I have been allocated GOK every year and wish listed another 3-pack every year. I am now allocated 2 3-pack every year. I like the Cayuse system. If I decide to wish list something I do not normally order I suspect I have a good chance but the wines go first to those with previous buying history.

Another data point: I put my name on the waiting list on March 9, 2009. My first offer was for the 2012 vintage, the transaction for which went through in January of 2014. So, 5 years wait for me.

My sign up confirmation was five months later, on 4 Aug 2009 but I am still waiting for my first offer after six years… have received the annual “not yet” email each January, including this year. No offer today.

Cheers,

Steve

“P.S. We look forward to adding your name to our Mailing List in the future. You can expect to hear from us annually in January regarding your Mailing List status. In the meantime, please let us know of any address or contact information changes. Also, if your patience is wearing extra thin, you might be able to find a few bottles of Cayuse in the retail marketplace at wine-searcher.com.”

I believe I signed up sometime in 2009 also.

Anybody know how long the Sine Qua Non list is?