TN: 1964 Cote-Rotie

TN: 1964 Cote-Rotie

The rain in London today resembled a monsoon at times. Although by some small miracle blue sky appeared later in the afternoon, the mood was definitely autumnal. Feeling in the mood for a mature Rhone red, I chose this bottle. Let me tell you that I really like good Cote-Rotie. No, that’s not doing my feelings justice. For me, some of my favourite and most thrilling experiences with wine have involved bottles of Cote-Rotie. The 1985 Guigal La Turque Cote-Rotie remains one of the ten greatest wines that I have ever drunk to date. Visiting those steep slopes has only endeared the area to me even more.

1964 John Harvey and Sons Limited: Cote-Rotie

Sourcing old Cote-Rotie is extremely difficult and costly. I bought a brace of these bottles several years ago in the UK. This wine was shipped and bottled by Harvey’s in Bristol, England. The cork, embossed with ‘Harveys of Bristol’, came out in one piece. Popped and poured, quite a plain label. The colour is a clear mediums red with a light red almost terracotta rim. The nose is intoxicating. Sweet, spicy, heady, dried raisons and plum jam. It is almost like it contains a dash of Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry. The rich mouthfeel is just plain gorgeous, showing dried red fruits and background acidity. A tickle of dryness amongst the fullness of the finish. For me, this bottle is fully mature though feel free enjoy any bottles you may have in your cellar.

How many/much is a “brace”, Nicos?

Stuart, it is two.

Thanks. I’d heard this in the context of game, but…

Nice note.

They used to say they “fortified” Burgundy with Rhone wines (and some from Algeria) in that era. So, I guess it’s fitting if they fortified this one with some Harvey’s “Bristol Creme”. Only fair.

Stuart, thank you. It was a very tasty mature wine, whatever the “blend”.

I had a 64 Guigal Ermitage last summer - drank really well for about half an hour before falling right off a cliff. It’s a nice time to catch these bottles.