Building a cellar

The actual execution of this project is probably still a ways out (maybe in the next year) but I wanted to get some input from anyone with experience. I live in MN and the idea would be to convert a finished “office space” in my basement into a cellar. Is this something that could be handled by me and someone that knows what they’re doing? Any good guides out there? I don’t have much experience with carpentry but my dad has probably 40ish years of experience as a handyman under his belt and a full library of tools. I’m just looking for do and don’s from people who have taken on a project like this before!

There’s a wealth of threads on build your own cellar projects here - give the search a go.

Depending on the quality of finishes you want (or can accept), and your or your dad’s abilities as a carpenter, it may or may not be a DIY project for you.

Richard Gold’s book How and Why to Build a Wine Cellar is considered the best starting point from cellar design standpoint, although it doesn’t cover as much the actual construction techniques - that’s more of a construction skills issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Wine-Cellar-Fourth-Edition/dp/1891267000

Jake, welcome, good questions. However if you will use the search function for “building a cellar” you will have a whole days worth of reading, plenty of great ideas and plenty of wish I had/hadn’t…etc.
Good luck

I don’t think it would be beyond the capacities of your dad and you. Especially if you do not require a luxury cellar. There is always a lot of help given here as many have gone down that road. I am a G.C. so would certainly offer advice. A good place to start would be to know the ambient temps in the space in summer and winter without climate control. Depending on your depth, exposure, etc, you may not even need the utmost in cooling or insulation.
Agreed that Gold’s book is a great place to find the basics and principles involved. It lacks construction technique but those are easier to seek out.

What they said above. It’s just building a closet. That shouldn’t take you more than a weekend. Then there’s shelving. If you build and install yourself, that’s going to take some time. And as John says, the degree of finish you want. If you want something that has a lot of fine trim, expensive fittings and lighting, and high-skill finish carpentry, that’s going to take more time than it will to build a simple, functional space.

But as suggested, definitely do a check, starting now, of the temperature and humidity in the space you’re thinking of. Collect and record the data every couple of days or even every day. It’s still hot summer so record from now through the winter and spring. Then you’ll have a better idea of what kind of cooling you’ll need.