TN: 2013 Clos Saron Out of the Blue

2013 Clos Saron Out of the Blue - USA, California (8/25/2015)
So much better than when I first had it last November. Back then it was intensely grapey, but last night it was young yet integrated, showing well formed fruit elements, as well as earthy and herbal nuances. The best part was the haunting aura around the wine. It was not so much a literal “finish” as the lingering effects filled the mouth. It just would not go away. It’s not the most complex wine (yet), but it is very interesting, especially given the humble grape at its core. Loving these Clos Saron wines.

Posted from CellarTracker

Then out of the blue
Love came rushing in
Out of the sky
Came the sun
Out of left field
Came a lucky day
Out of the blue
No more pain

I’ve found Clos Saron wines to be really hit and miss, but then I haven’t tried that many and mostly at tasting events like Rhone Rangers. I opened one of their whites last month at a dinner that was weird but still interesting. But when they’re good, they can be very good.

The 2013 “Out of the Blue” is 90% old-vine Cinsault, 5% Syrah, 5% Graciano, all co-fermented. I tasted it at this year’s Rhone Rangers and liked it but didn’t think it was a real standout at that time - I do think holding it for another year or two will probably be of benefit though I’m not sure it’s a long ager. The Cinsault component is from Bechthold Vineyard in Lodi, planted in 1886 and reputedly home of the oldest Cinsault vines in the world

Nice Roxy Music reference, BTW.

I don’t mind
If it’s only
A passing craze
Throwaway lines
Often ring true

Trying to resist turning this into a full scale Roxy Music thread. :slight_smile: