Berserker's Favorites - VOTE - Burgundy Cote de Nuits Red

Next election: 5 favorite Cote de Nuits reds

Same rules as last thread:
-Vote for your 5 favorite producers, today, in ranked order. First place gets 7 points, then 4-3-2-1
-Provide a sentence explaining your vote for each producer

The new wrinkle:
-vote only based on the producer’s CdN red bottlings. We’ll do separate votes for CdB red and white burgundy later.

My list is a blend of ranking quality and value, these are wines I still buy:

1. Liger-Belair - best wines that I can still afford (sans La Romanee) from my favorite village
  2. Clavelier - love his Vosne, Chambolle and NSG 1ers
  3. Bertheau - elegant, transparent Chambolles
  4. Lignier Michelot - underrated quality IMO from Morey sites mostly
  5. Gouges - great producer and still generally affordable

Would have likely been on list 5-10 years ago but too pricey now - Cathiard, Mugnier, Roumier, Dujac, Mugneret-Gibourg
Honorable Mention - Felettig, Mongeard-Mugneret, Digioia-Royer

1. DRC
  2. Mugneret-Gibourg
  3. Cecile Tremblay
  4. Rossignol-Trapet
  5. Hudelot-Noellat

I voted based on favorites, not necessarily the best. I voted based on today and not the past. If I had voted on the past, Truchot would be #1 and the others would move down. And, Jadot might nudge out Rossignol-Trapet for #5.

DRC
Leroy
Roumier
Rousseau
And like 10 tied for #5

1. Barthod
  2. Trapet
  3. Grivot
  4. Lamarche
  5. Gouges

I will happily drink bigger names but I actually buy these.

in my experience with both domestic and european pricing, the liger-belair wines are currently on the same level if not more expensive than the producers you mentioned being priced out of. i agree they are fantastic wines but i am curious to hear how they are more affordable than any of the other renowned producers.

Leroy
Rousseau
Dujac
Mugneret-Gibourg
Cathiard

dujac - benchmark cdlr and csd
rousseau - benchmark chambertin and cdb
drc - la tache…the end.
leroy - same perfume at all levels
vogue - starting to come back to old form

1. Robert Chevillon - Great QPR, wines at all price points, ages well.
  2. Henri Gouges - I’ve had some older bottles that have come around, young bottles even better, great QPR
  3. Hudelot-Noellat - Great wines at all price points. Classic.
  4. Hubert Lignier - Grew up on these; back on form after a rough patch. Rustic in the way I like.
  5. Dujac - My favorite whole-cluster producer. Rarely green despite the stems.

HM: Liger-Belair (My two of my handful favorite burgundies ever were a La Romanee and a L-B Reignots); DRC (only had one and it was smashing); Alain Burguet (more modern-style but they age wonderfully); D. Laurent (a superlative negoicant); Domaine Bart (best QPR in burgundy)

1. Dujac : Just incredible Cdlr/Csd/echezeaux. And with age they become insane.
  2. Leroy : Things tend to taste the same but they all taste the same awesome. But pricing is next level stupid high.
  3. Rousseau: chambertin might be the most consistently amazing wine in burgundy.
  4. Drc cause la tache
  5. Jadot : few domaines have such diversity in their holdings but still have such great quality. They are also built to age wonderfully. The beze, csj and moose are so good

Rousseau – ne plus ultra
Roumier – the king of weightless intensity
Chevillon – super consistent, great QPR at this level
Bertheau – CM transparency and purity at semi-sleeper prices
Mugneret Gibourg – nice backstory, village wines (once great values) still pay dividends

Note: I can’t afford DRC or Leroy so they didn’t factor in my ratings

David, I never see talk about Domaine Bart on this board. I buy quite a bit of it each year and agree that it is a fantastic QPR. The Marsannay Champs Salomon is a perennial weeknight favorite in my apartment. What do you buy?

not in my experience, either I have a good deal on L-B or can’t find one on the others

tond llet enoyna, tub eht solc ed ezeb si eht stit.

I’m with you. I bought one (forget vintage) from Chambers once and it was corked. So, havnt had the pleasure yet. I’ll keep my eyes open.

You must, because I certainly do not think of L-B as being better priced than the others. Great for you. [cheers.gif]

1. Jean-Marie Fourrier – the top end are great but his villages wines are where he really shows his skill
  2. Hubert Lignier – the CLDR is an amazing wine; he made great wines in not so great years (97, 00)
  3. Engel
  4. Meo-Camuzet – not always my style but always great wines.
  5. Roumier – should not be 5th but just have not drunk enough. But those that I have drunk have been great.

[popcorn.gif]

I will vote for producers I can sometimes afford:

Mugneret-Gibourg for the purity of the wines, and the excellence of the Bourgogne
Fourrier for purity as well
Roumier because the village wine is such a high level
Chevillon because the full range never, ever disappoints (2004 excepted…for many domaines)
Jadot for the Clos St Jacques and the overlooked Estournelles (among others)

Will vote for the producers I buy and drink:
1: Jean-Marie Fourrier (the most expencive on my list, but if you can get them they are within reach even for me here. Love the clarity of the wines)
2: Ghislaine Barthod. Have had a few bottles of Les Cras that have been superb.
3: Hudellot-Noellat. Been luck enough to taste through the range a few times and love the lightness of the wines. Stick to village and 1er cru when I buy myself, but those are great as well.
4: Trapet Pere et Fils. Just great wines. Quite different than those above, but great wines.
5: Charles Audoin. Exceptional value for money from Marsannay. Les Favieres ages beautifully.

Memorable mention: Roumier. Have only had one wine, actually, but that was a 1999 Chambertin that I shared with some friends. The wine was stunning.