5 tricks to remove a red wine stain

I realize this is an old subject with plenty of threads to support, but here`s one more:

Adam Teeter@adamteeter May 2, 2014

How To Remove A Red Wine Stain
Wine stains happen to the best of us. That’s just the risk we take for loving red wine so much. Eventually, in the midst of a good time, a little wine is going to spill and we’re going to have to deal with cleaning it up. Have no fear, red wine stains are not as difficult to remove as you might think, especially if you act quickly. Here are some of our favorite red wine stain removal tricks:

The Salt Trick (Especially good for carpets and rugs)
As soon as you stain your carpet with red wine, blot as much of it as you can with a paper towel, and then cover the entire stain with salt until you can’t see the red wine stain anymore. Let the salt soak into the wet stain and then dry. As the salt dries, it should suck up the stain. Then, simply vacuum everything up.

A Mixture of Dawn And Hydrogen Peroxide (Great for clothes)
Mix together equal parts Dawn dishwashing detergent and hydrogen peroxide. Pour the mixture over the wine stain and allow it to soak in. You should see the stain begin to fade almost immediately. After you have allowed the mixture to soak into the stain, launder the clothing normally. This trick works best on light colored clothes, as hydrogen peroxide has a tendency to bleach.

Boiling Water (Great for the tablecloth)
Boil water in a tea kettle. While you’re boiling the water, find a large glass bowl and place it in the sink. Then stretch the portion of the fabric that has the stain on it over bowl and secure it with a rubber band. The fabric should be taut. When the water boils, pour it from a height over a foot above the stain directly on to the fabric. The stain should wash out.

White Vinegar and Laundry Detergent (Another great trick for clothes)
Cover the stain in white vinegar, which neutralizes purple and red pigments. Immediately after applying the vinegar, rub in liquid detergent, then launder in hot water. The stain should lift.

Bleach (For that white shirt you spilled wine on at a wedding)
While we don’t recommended using bleach for all wine stain occurrences, it is your best bet for getting wine out of white fabrics. Simply soak the fabric in bleach for about ten minutes and then launder in hot water. The stain will disappear.

If the above tricks don’t seem to work, a chemical product we’ve been told does a great job is Wine Away, it even removes stains that are old and dry, though we’ve never tried it ourselves.

If all else fails, or you seem to encounter more stains than normal, you may want to consider just drinking white wine!

#6 - drink white wine

more specifically, champagne

Enzymes:

http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Away-Stain-Remover-12-Ounces/dp/B0000DDYOU/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1440457601&sr=8-1&keywords=wine+stain+remover&pebp=1440457626109&perid=0XK3C1JZXY5S0K6GCT91

Agree with Nick. I’ve seen Wine Away work miracles on red wine stains.

Just read the reviews and they certainly support this product with “amazing” results". Looks like a must have.

Spot Shot will remove Vintage Port and Viader from carpet. First hand experience.

Does it work on clothes?

I would imagine so. Never had the opportunity test it out.

Folex works as well as Wineaway and is MUCH cheaper

Hi Chris, Included in the reviews for Wine Away were miracle stories of red wine coming out of white clothes; completely with no evidence of stain.

Methotrexate?

Vodka (or high proof grain alcohol if you have some around) has worked wonders for me in the past.

I can personally vouch for this. I don’t own Wine Away precisely, but another product that’s also enzyme-based. I’m assuming, perhaps incorrectly, they all work on similar principles. If I get to the stain immediately, it’s 100% history.

Big +1. An amazing product. We once had a full glass of red wine dropped on our white/light oriental rug and Folex made it look like new.

I have found that white wine removes red wine.

Same here. Red wine on a white dress shirt… totally gone.

Haven’t tried Folex but will look for it if/when we run out of Wine Away. We don’t use it much (probably shouldn’t have written that…).

Friends swear by WinaAway and I was about to try it on a white and light blue striped blouse that got almost a full glass of red dumped on it when an energetic puppy jumped into my lap at a picnic but first I tossed it in my dry cleaning with the app driven service Dryv and I have no idea what they did but the stain vanished and there was no extra charge. I’m impressed.

I have several bottles of wine away. Love it. Works every time. Oxyclean works on fresh stains. Wineway works on old wine stains which is what isnso impressive.

I guess if one consumes enough Vodka, you are less upset about the wine stain on your favorite item of clothing or furnishings. Good thinking.