What's the most overrated winery on Berserkers?

What’s the most overrated winery on Berserkers?

A potentially interesting and divisive topic. We’ve had lots of most underrated threads here through the years, this is the yang to that ying.

Please note: To a great degree, the recommendations and enthusiasms we share here on Wine Berserkers have been invaluable to me, improving my cellar and my enjoyment of wine. But there are a few exceptions, a few wines and wineries who get high praise here that I’ve tried repeatedly and that I just don’t get. In fact, for my mileage, these wines are overrated. It doesn’t mean these wines are bad or overpriced at all, just that I don’t get the hype.

Not overrated by the critics or the marketplace, but by our fellow wine elite brethren here on Wine Berserkers.

This isn’t about the most overrated varietal or region. If you just don’t get Chinon reds as a category, like me for instance, you can’t nominate Baudry.

I will start with a long time favorite of many wine boards, a winery I like and of which I own many bottles, but a winery I am beginning to doubt will ever provide the thrills promised in a category I generally love:

Felsina Chianti

Discuss.

[popcorn.gif]

Maison Ilan?

This ought to prove a field day for those who want a punching bag for what some feel like are Board ‘favorites’.

I’ll take a more positive tone instead. I’ve come to the point where I have given up the chase for points and the highly rated, to chase expensive wines I cannot afford and instead settled into things I appreciate, can afford and that give me great pleasure. This is where I would rather focus my attention.

Going to have to do a search on all those Felsina Chiantis threads…

Fair point, Frank, and definitely not my intention with this topic.

I think if approached sincerely this could tell us a lot about tastes and wines, etc. I find it interesting when I give a heralded wine a sincere chance (repeated tastings, mature to new bottles, open mind, etc.) and it doesn’t live up to my expectations.

I don’t care.

If you insist, Sutter Home (White Zinfandel).

Pat, thanks for not taking my post personal. I wanted to offer an honest reply. I just hope this thread doesn’t turn into a poop storm where you get the handful of people who want to focus on the negative and attack each other. It’s why I more and more stay out of threads because it’s tiring.

For me it would be Aubert Chards. Wanted and tried to like them. Perhaps with age they evolve, but even remotely young I felt they were disjointed and undrinkable. I made a comment saying so and promptly had my allocation pulled for the next release, so it all worked out in the end.

I see little upside to this thread. Where else can it it go, but the direction Frank feared?

There are board darlings that I am not fond of. I tend not to comment on threads about them. We all have different tastes, that difference doesn’t make something overrated.

Maybe if it was asked, “which board favorite don’t you get?” you might get more positive responses than the negative “overrated.” But on second thought probably not, really.

Caymus

Damn, right off the bat Pat picks a winery that I am a big fan of. But it’s sort of like the thread on how do you score a wine that you don’t like - why should I care if someone doesn’t like a wine that I am fond of? To each their own. I’ll get my popcorn out now and see where this thread goes.

Saxum

FIFY

[snort.gif]

Have fun. I hate the wines. Would rather drink hemlock.

“What’s the most provocative thread title on Berserkers?”

Sorry, OP, you lose. You can’t beat “Does Texier Suck?” with this weak sauce.

That is very interesting.

I really love them. My wife and I like to sit and ooh and awe at how much we enjoy them.

Different chards for different pards, I guess!

If you are ever in our area, we will ‘force pour’ you some and see how it goes! [cheers.gif]

(We popped a young pinot last month and debated if it was our new release wine of the year. I think in ten years, we will all have our DNA profiles that tell us which wines we will like!)

Barefoot. [shock.gif]

Hang in there you’ll no doubt get some suggestions you do just that. [swearing.gif]

Red Burgundy in general.