TN: 2012 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2012 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/9/2015)
    Dark color with a clear rim, this wine has a nice fruit profile on the nose. Tart cherry and a hint of cranberry on the palate with a long finish showing fruit and spice.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love Jamie’s Sonoma Coast and since I’m still nursing the '11s, glad to hear the '12’s are something to look forward to. Based on your note Nancy, I assume the '12 will age well.

Opened one a couple of months ago. It shows very nicely with some air, but is still a bit youthful and coiled, and I would have no problem waiting a few years on the next one.

Nancy, thanks for posting the note. Appreciate it.

Is this the wine picked at 19 brix? I’ve been wanting to try that wine.

I opened this by accident a few weeks ago thinking it was a different vintage. Unfortunately it was a pop and pour and really didn’t open up until a couple of hours into it. Love Jaime’s wines, but they really benefit from some time in the bottle.

Yes, I went deep so thought I would open one early. Still tight on the finish. Whole cluster and all that.

Still enjoyed it and can still taste it. We had it with roast pork tenderloin with a touch of jerk seasoning.

I saved a couple ounces for tomorrow! [cheers.gif]

I will now try to forget I saw this note. I blew through way too many bottles of the '12 when it came out, as it was incredibly delicious. Trying to keep my hands off of the last few.

You know that’s going to be hard to do. [cheers.gif]

Here is an update to this wine, from a bottle I am finishing tonight. This is pure, on point CA pinot noir. Not as laser as some of Jamie’s other wines but it’s in line with what I think the vintage gave–generous wines, dark color and plenty of flavor. I don’t find this wine tart, as Nancy had noted. It did reflect some of that perhaps when it was cooler, as I kept it in the fridge the last 2 days as I worked through it. But as it warms up to an ideal temp for me, it’s more about flare, purity, depth. I really like this vintage of SC from Jamie. And, probably one of the best pinots in 2016 that has really grabbed my attention.

• 2012 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/27/2016)
    Opened this y/day. Had forgot how showy and big-pants this wine is. The color is syrah in tone, a deep, dark red. The aromatics show a light whiff of stem and graphite but all very well managed/integrated in my view. Where this bugger shines is in the taste, giving due representation of the vintage. Dense black cherry, dark raspberry, juicy and a bit jammy. There is a light menthol quality here, too. Finishes with some loam, the same pure juicy and generous quality and some supporting acidity. This ain’t a shy Kutch. It’s got some light to moderate complexity but it’s really just showy and satisfying. My advice would be to not overthink this vintage of Kutch SC, but instead just drink and enjoy it. I have a mag left, figure I’ll get that open in the next year or two. Pure CA, delicious.

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting. I opened one of these on Sunday, and got so little out of it that I moved on. Figired it was completely shut down.

OTOH, I opened a 375ml of Rhys San Mateo tonight, and while not ready, it was quite open. Still more baby fat/fruit sweetness than I prefer, but getting close to a good window.

Buek, the bottle I have open is really fantastic. Drinking perfectly.

The wine will always have the last word.

I had a '12 McDougall last week and it was sensational.

Opened this last night and it was a bit shut down, especially on the nose. Still a pretty wine with nice balance. I think this will probably benefit from a little more time in the bottle.

Wow! This wine is in a great place now. I had one last fall and the notes were consistent with Tom’s, a bit shut down. But has certainly opened up. Only have 2 more left :frowning:

Thanks for the notes, only 1 bottle so hoping to share with a UK friend who likes US pinot

I had this last night with that friend, and it was singing! I was surprised how dark it was. Delicious, friendly, California pinot. Lots of fruit. I didn’t pick up any tartness nor cranberries though. Easy A- and I look forward to trying more of Jamie’s wines. I remember maybe 15-20 years ago tasting with Jamie a few times when he lived in NYC, and am glad to see that he has prospered.