Riedel Lawyer's Letter -- Pretty Wacky

So the other day the “Hosemaster” posts an article on another website (Tim Atkins) making fun of the different wine glasses offered by Riedel Articles – Tim Atkin – Master of Wine. I suppose whether you like this type of humor might depend on how seriously you adhere to the wine mantra of Riedel and others asserting the need for a different wine glass for each different type of wine. I thought the article was mildly amusing, but not worth posting about.

However, what is more amusing (to me at least) is the reaction of Riedel, which apparently had its lawyers respond to the article by sending the letter included in the attached follow up Hosemaster article: HoseMaster of Wine™: Riedel Threatens the HoseMaster of Wine™--Hand Blow Me.

I know Riedel is a business, but perhaps they are taking this a bit too seriously?

I have to say Riedel don’t come out of this well; this is exactly the kind of issue that will lead to far more coverage and much much more “non-satire.” Not very clever I am afraid.

Best comment, “I vote for satire over anally retentive Austrians any day!”

Libel laws are very different over here. I can see how the Hosedick wouldn’t translate well for an Austrian who takes their craft seriously.

Maybe too seriously under the circumstances. I suspect they are doing more harm than good to their reputation by adopting the approach they did, especially knowing that the lawyer’s letter also likely would end up being publicized.

Riedeliculous.

I saw a letter written by Jack Daniel’s that was sent to an author of a book that used the likeness of their label on the book(similar color, font, ect). That was done well by Jack Daniel’s. This…leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I wonder what James Suckling would rate this letter if it was served in a Lalique-100 point stem?

It’s 8.6.15, did the shite hit the fan!?

Just a total doofus move by Riedel. Hopefully they’ll quickly see how ridiculous this makes the, look and back off of ol’ Hosemeister right quick.

Bad move by Riedel… this satirist is going to bask in his temporary internet fame and totally milk every second of it. Hilarious piece, though. I particularly enjoyed the opening line:

“Riedel me this,” Georg said. “What’s the difference between drinking from my specially designed Sangiovese glass, and drinking your Chianti Classico from an ordinary wine glass?”

Silence.

“When you drink from my Sangiovese glass, your lipstick leaves a mark — on my ass!”

Riedel does not look good, but the Hosemaster continues to come off as less a satirist and more a bitter dick.

I don’t find the Hosemaster funny at all with his childish writings but Riedel is just going to make themselves look like the bad guys by publicizing this issue when it would have otherwise just died off.

Here’s an appropriate response letter, already drafted.

Let me be the first to say that I HATE Reidel glasses. When I get them at a restaurant, I ask for something else. In my opinion, the stems are too fragile and I have broken three of them at restaurants where the stems have collapsed in my hand as I put the glass down on the table. I have heard similar stories from others. I believe this is a design defect - the creation of a glass too fragile for normal use. Luckily for Reidel, I did not end up with a shard of glass in my hand, or else I would have had to “consider all of [my] legal remedies against [them].” Mark - do you remember when that happened at the Thunevin dinner at Crabtree’s? Luckily, I caught the bowl and did not spill a drop of the inaugural Valandraud from magnum.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. Tashjian.

I agree. It’s just bad and childish writing that reads like it was written by a smart ten year old stuck in a Freudian anal phase. However, no one could possible take it seriously.

Wow

Its like their are even more dickish versions of me on both sides of this argument

Haha, this is good stuff.

Post of the week! Excellent.

I like the subtle dig by the attorneys that hosemaster isn’t funny. Cause it’s true.

Jay – Is this satire?