TN: A Jasnières, a Margaux and a Vouvray on the balcony with friends.

A building-wide balcony refurbishment project had kept me from my balcony for about 7-8 months. Thankfully, it ended a couple of weeks ago, allowing me to once again use it in time for peak summer enjoyment. With the farmers market in full swing, I grabbed some fresh produce, broiled a chicken and had Chris and Lisa Coad over to enjoy another episode of balcony dining.

• 2009 Pascal Janvier Jasnières - France, Loire Valley, Jasnières
    My last bottle and I went through my stash too quickly. Just a tasty, easy drinking Chenin. Shows the vintage’s plumpness, but there’s solid structure here. Ripe quince, pear honeysuckle and mineral abound on the nose and palate with just a hint of some citrus notes. Wish I had more. Low A-.
  • 1994 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    We were all pleasantly surprised at how well this showed. At peak, silky and delivering just what you want out of a Bordeaux. Nice black fruit, earth and hint of cedar. Just a slight touch of the vintage’s hard edges on the finish, but really showing a lovely softness. Solid B+.
  • 1997 François Pinon Vouvray Moelleux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray
    Lovely, but maybe just a bit wonky at this stage. All the baby fat the wine once had is pretty much gone and the wine shows nice structure. Quince, yellow apple and mineral dominate with a bit of acacia and a touch of quinine, but this bottle seemed a bit diffuse in the middle and had light bitterness on the finish. Still, very enjoyable. Low A-.

Posted from CellarTracker
Balcony dining 8-1-15 II.jpg
Balcony dining wines 8-1-15.jpg