TN: A bunch of wines at dinner with Friends

A BUNCH OF WINES AT DINNER WITH FRIENDS - Taste (8/2/2015)

Last night, my wife and I met up with two other couples for a nice dinner at a local restaurant’s chef table. It was a long dinner (about 4 hours) with lots of great food ordered off the menu. The food was excellent and there was a wide variety of wine. The other two couples had not met before and its always fun cross pollinating and telling stories, some new, some old. As for the wines, they were consumed, non-blind, casually with plenty of time to revisit.
A couple of champagnes to get the party started.

• NV Philippe Prié Champagne Cuvée Archange - France, Champagne, Côte des Bars (Aube), Champagne
    Light golden in color. Nice mousse of small bubbles. The nose has a nice citrus component to it. Not much in minerality. On the palate, there is more minerality and less citrus. There is some body to it. More wide than deep. It has good acidity and is refreshing. Good start to an evening. (91 pts.)
  • 2004 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année - France, Champagne
    Whoa. This is good. From a WTSO shipment a couple of months back. Medium gold in color. The nose is nice with pears, smoke and hazelnuts. On the palate, this is seriously good. Flavors of smoked nuts and pears. Complex. Fresh and vibrant. Perhaps a bit more mature than I might have expected but drinking beautifully now. Nothing oxidized or anything like that. Great acidity. Long finish. (94 pts.)

White Burg Flight

• 2002 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis 1er Cru Cuvée Minéral - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    The last bottle of white Burgundy in my cellar. Bought on release when I used to buy before the premox issues were known to me. Not that this bottle had any issues. It was great and just where I would want an 02 1er Cru from a good producer. Light gold in color. The nose has chalk and green apples. Medium bodied. Complex and deep. Nice cut. Great with food. Took about 20 minutes to open after pnp. Very nice showing. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    I think the potential is here but this is very tight. I meant to go back later and check but I got distracted. Right now it drinks like a good Chardonnay that could be from anywhere. Light gold in color. The nose has lemon and an interesting green note. On the palate, this his full bodied with a lot of power but the fruit seems tight and shut down. Nice acidity. There is a lot of room for improvement here, but I would hold for another ten years. (90 pts.)
  • 2007 Louis Latour Meursault 1er Cru Gouttes d’Or - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Light golden in color. The nose has lemon chiffon and dust. On the palate, this has some nice lemony fruit. Not much complexity. Lacks the acidity I would like. Nice wine, but I doubt it gets better from here. (88 pts.)

A Pinot, just cause

• 2007 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Peters Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    This has really improved with time and is drinking really well right now. Seems to be on the young side of peak though as after being open for 32 hours, it was really singing. Light ruby in color. The nose is initially cherries and macerated cherries. With air a floral note emerges. Eventually, a really nice damp, earthy quality is there too. Complex. On the palate, this is soft, yet powerful if that makes sense. Tight layering unwinds with air to show cherries and raspberries. Layered with freshly tilled earth. Enough acidity though not a lot. Long finish. Great with some mushroom broth soup. (93 pts.)

Some bigger reds

• 2009 Keating Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Georges III Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
    This is getting there. Best showing yet for this wine but still young and needs time or air. Showed much better after an hour of being opened and poured IMO. Purple in color. The nose has cassis leather and a bit of graphite. Full bodied. On the palate, this has depth. With air, a nice complexity comes out. Nice balance. Still some oak showing, but it seems to be integrating very nicely with the fruit. Another couple of years to full maturity I think. Lovely wine. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Macauley Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    I had not had this wine before. Wonderful showing. At ten years from vintage, this is in a great place. Purple in color. The nose is great with cassis, licorice, cedar and some leather. On the palate, this is showing sign of maturity but seems to have a long life ahead. Layers of cassis and black raspberries combined with a damp leather. Juicy/slightly jammy. delicious wine. long finish. This has really come together (not sure what it was like in its youth) beautifully. (95 pts.)
  • 2005 Jean-Michel Stephan Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Purple in color. The nose has black olives but it a bit tight. Some roasted meats but not much fruit on the nose. Better on the palate with some black raspberries. Also some old wood notes. Tannins seem resolved. A nice silky texture. Nice acidity. This needs some food. In retrospect, this should have been served on its own or certainly not with some bigger Napa Cabs. Oh well. I wonder where it goes from here though. Its a very good wine and I would probably drink sooner than later. (89 pts.)

Some more bigger reds

• 2004 Ramey Jericho Canyon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Ruby/purple in color. The nose has cassis and a very strong tobacco, both brown and green quality. Is there any Cab Franc in this? On the palate, this seems to be at peak. Nice cassis flavors. Mild tannins. Lots of fruit left. Just the slightest amount of oak left. This drinks a bit more Bordeaux like than I was expecting which for me is a goof thing. Nice showing. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Staglin Family Cabernet Sauvignon 25th Anniversary Selection - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
    Really awesome showing for this wine. Its big and still young but showing some development. Cassis, spice and cedar on the intriguing, deep nose. Lush texture. Juicy cassis fruit with some tannins. Not a monster, but drinks very lush. Great, clean fruit. Depth and tight layering that unwinds in the glass. Great balance. I never had this vintage but this way exceeded my expectations. Years left but great now. Easily my WOTN. (97 pts.)

One more for the road

• NV Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut - France, Champagne
    Gary opened this at the end of the night. Served cold, it was refreshing and woke my palate up. Light golden in color. The nose has lots of peaches, a bit of smoke, and light citrus. On the palate, there is some complexity. Nice mouthfeel. Good balance. Maybe it was just right at that point, but it exceeded my expectations. (91 pts.)

Thanks to Jane, Carrie, Joyce, Gary and Robert for a wonderful evening.
Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the tasting notes! Sounds like a great time!

I enjoyed the write up. I was a big fan of the Keating on release so I’m glad to see you liked it.