TN: 2006 Carlisle James Berry Syrah - 5-1/2 years apart - WORTH the wait

Anyone who says that California wines do not age well should try this. No, it is not 30 years old, but there was no Carlisle 30 years ago. I am convinced that this is still on the upswing and has quite a way to go. If you have them, enjoy them or save them. If you are lucky enough to have a bunch of them, spread them out and report back.

• 2006 Carlisle Syrah James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (7/31/2015)
    Six years ago, I drank one of these, decided it was infanticide, but projected that it would be good after a few years. I waited six, popped, decanted, waited 15 minutes, and tasted with prime NY strip, fresh green beans and roasted Kale salad with blue cheese and red onions. The wine is outstanding, a WOW wine. Delicious smooth berry flavor and dark red fruit like plum. There is a bit of Northern Rhone smooth wine pepper in the last few tastes before the wine is finished. One of the few times when a family dinner with three people caused a problem - they drank MY WINE! Quick, rush to CT and see if there is another bottle for a few more years out. Oh crap! This is my last bottle. If you have it, wait a few years to see if it gets even better. My guess is that it will. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Carlisle Syrah James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (2/20/2009)
    This did not show as well as I expected but has potential. There was too much astringency and sharpness on the tongue at beginning and end, but there was blueberry, blackberry and sharp cherry. I love Carlisle syrahs and of all the bottles we had, this suffered them most from infanticide. Let’s see what happens in a few years. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

We are drinking a 2012 Santa Lucia syrah now now and I wish I had held it a few more years. It is drinking very well but I can see that it holds more for the future.

I have two of these left. I want to share one with FMIII. Maybe compare with a Saxum 06 JB.

Thanks for posting, Jay. I have one left that I’ve been sitting on. Mike, please post notes if you and Frank get into one.

I asked Mike about drinking those two side by side years ago and he said no. First of all, the Saxum is a blend and his is 100% syrah. Second, he pointed out that Justin gets some very special rows. I do not remember the details, but I think it had to do with upper versus lower blocks in the vineyard. I believe that the Saxum has more complexity and spice, while the Carlisle was more smooth and sexy.

Nice set of notes. For a change you and I had similar wines flirtysmile as we had an 07 Carlisle JBV last night. Gorgeous.

I give mikes zins at least 3 years and the syrahs at least 5

Same here!!

Jeff, I never made it to Philly last week. Event was cancelled.

I would be thrilled to drink with both you and Mr D at some point soon. Maybe the two of you can consider Falltacular 2016. Would be cool to have you both out for it. Perhaps we do a Thursday night dinner this next time. champagne.gif

I have a lot of Carlisle in the cellar, but never seem to have enough James Berry. Great bottle of domestic wine. As true an example of what you can do with CA syrah as I have tried.