Wine aerators What do you use?

I’m curious about how everyone decants/aerates their wine (or if you do at all?).

What do you do?
What is the most work?
Is the amount of work an issue (I’m lazy!)?

Do you stick to known brands (Venturi?) or award winners (vinaera?)

How many people actually drink wines where sediment is an issue?

Hi Stephen,

Welcome!

For old wines slox-ox/Audouze (do a search here).

For young wines that need it a wide-bottom decanter.

No link Henry

I did a google search :slight_smile:

Does that mean more modern options like the Venturi wine aerator or the Vinaera Electronic Wine Aerator (http://vinaera-global.com/)are frowned upon?

I might be old-school but I think there is lots of gimmicky wine gadgets out there. I have a drawer full of these for my earlier wine days that I don’t use.

So for me I use:

1. Funnel with strainer
  2. Ships decanter for young full bodied reds
  3. Riedel sommelier magnum decanter for the rest.

Cheers!

JF

I’m using a Rabbit stainless funnel/ aerator into a decanter.
It seems like the Rabbit possibly saves half an hour of decant time, and removes any sediment or cork bits.
Most of the Bordeaux I’ve been drinking, young and old, likes 2 or more hours of air time.

Prefer to age my wines to a point where decanting isn’t a necessity. On those rare occasions I will use a decanter or Venturi.

I’d never heard of the Vinaera, but I guess your purpose here is to let me know about it. I see your one post on the board outside this thread is here.

The way you’ve posted in this thread may or may not be deemed kosher by the powers that be and the board regulars, but what’s definitely a rule is that you must disclose that you’re “in the business”. Most folks put it in their signature line. Certainly you should have disclosed that you represent the aerator in question.

To answer your question: eh, I used a gadget when first getting into wine, having noticed straight away that it did, as claimed, have a marked effect on the wine poured through it. Later I came to question whether that effect was positive - I mostly didn’t think so. So I decant or let wine unwind in the glass these days.

Blender or food processor if there is a lot of sediment.

Open bottle, pour into glass. If it’s a wine I think needs a little decanting, let sit in glass for a while. Not much more to it. Use a decanter if you want, or double decant into a bottle/container and back into the original bottle. Anything more than that is just smoke and mirrors…

I wasn’t attempting to make a secret of it. The other huge post in the exact same thread would’ve totally defeated the purpose of being sneaky.

I could add something to my signature if that is required. I originally registered under my corporate name but it was changed to my real name to meet the name requirements.

My intention was truly to see what people were using. I apologize if it seemed deceptive but I wasn’t planning on posting the job here originally. I pay for Linked-in and a few other places that are more appropriate for recruiting independent reps but I figured if the thread was there, why not use it? I saw the “job openings” thread and decided to dive right in (since it was within rules).

Until this product came along I used a Venturi (which is why I am familiar) and I also have a wide-bottom vivid decanter (that I rarely use, I’m too lazy and impatient).
I don’t have any methods of filtering sediment as that is not currently an issue with my selection.

I don’t plan on going on any sales-pitches or spam campaigns here on the forum so rest at ease.
My original intention was just to see what people are using and hear their complaints about current methods.

If the wine needs air I give it mouth-to-mouth.

We use a Haley’s Corker. Aerates it a little, has a small pour spout so there’s no drips down the label, keeps the larger sediment in the bottle, keeps the fruit flies out, dishwasher safe and seals pretty well for a year or two.

Like others on here, if the wine needs some air, I’ll either just pop the cork and let it breathe in the bottle. If sediment is a concern, then I’ll manually decant over a light.

amazon sells powdered air. just add water, and then let it dry out. you can add a teaspoon and see how much you prefer.

Decanter, though I don’t normally have the patience.

As a natural wine aficionado this sounds like an attractive low-intervention option. How do you know that the air isn’t spoofed? From where is it sourced?

This.

Have a funnel with closed end and multiple holes around the end so wine sprays out the sides into the glass or decanter into which it is inserted. It has a fine mesh stainless screen which can be placed in the funnel if the wine needs to be filtered.

My decanter looks exactly like the wide-bottom model Henry K. posted, above.

So if the wine needs a bit of aeration, I use the funnel and if it needs filtering I add the screen; if it needs aeration followed by breathing I pour it through the funnel into to the decanter.

I usually just pop and let it slow-ox in the bottle standing up in the cellar for a few hours, though.