In which I get to be horribly geeky, and there is a note on a Damoy Clos De Beze 1993

Yesterday we dined at a new restaurant in Tarrytown NY, Bistro 12. The food was superb, not particularly elegant, but good old fashioned and full flavored. We began with some clams in white wine and clam broth with the best part of half a bulb of roasted garlic sliced into it. The fricassee of rabbit was excellent, but it was the polenta on the side, which stole the show, far and away the best I have ever had.

When I called about a reservation, I asked about corkage, which was a reasonable $20. I asked about glassware, and that seemed to be OK as well, so I arrived at the restaurant armed with the aforementioned Damoy. It’s a wine I have probably consumed a dozen bottles over the years, and its evolution has been interesting. A promising childhood, its teenage years marred by unforgiving tannins, and there it has stayed for the last decade. We opened it, and began pouring it in the Spiegelau Bordeaux glasses. The nose has blossomed since the last time I had it, it had a wonderful perfume, but the glass was all wrong. Fortunately I had a couple of clean Burgundy glasses in the car just in case, so excused myself, and walked to the lot, got the glasses and returned. All was well. The wine continued to blossom magnificently; this was where I thought it was going, and now, even though it still needs time, this is archetypal Burgundy, with sous bois, mushrooms, cherry, and lavender coming together in layers. Perfect with the rabbit, and just as lovely after we finished eating and savored the last few drops.

Nice note Mark. I’ve had this wine and it was very good.

The note on the glassware is helpful also.

this was the wine that woke me up to this domaine