Sharing a good bottle with a friend

One of the joys of having a cellar or just being a bit too deep into wine is sharing a bottle with someone that’s “into” wine but maybe because they haven’t been at it a while or have more limited means or value other things more, wouldn’t be exposed to such a wine.

Yesterday I shared one of my favorite sub $100 Tete du Cuvee with a friend, over some rabbit terrine. I enjoyed the wine for sure but more so observing how my friend couldn’t pay attention to our conversation he enjoyed the wine so much.

Anyone recently also share the love?

André Clouet Champagne 1911

My Tasting Note

• Bottle 524 of the 38th Cuvee
    Poured a medium dark yellow into burgundy glasses. The nose filled immediately with salted churned butter. a bit of acid in the mouth with some herbal notes, perhaps tarragon. Red apple skins, which I get in most of his wines start to appear, then build on the finish and last indefinitely. Long, gorgeous finish never pushing into butterscotch or caramel covered apple, but hinting in that direction. Really fabulous stuff and terrific with rabbit terrine.

Agreed - yesterday took my best friend (who just moved to LA from NYC) to the wine bar Augustine. Great to catch-up and welcome him to LA, but even better to do so while exposing him to the joys – and strangeness – of aged wine. We enjoyed, among others:

• 1981 Sorrel Hermitage “Le Meal” (smoky as hell with fruit still vibrant)
  • 1995 Poco do Lobo Arinto from Portugal (super mature - very oxidative and nutty yet fresh and lively)
  • 1997 Domaine de la Fontainerie Vouvray (wooly and golden-hued - in a great place)
  • El Molino Pinor Noir from the 90’s (a decent amount of reduction, but nicely resolved and smooth with some acidity still poking through)

Definitely agree with you, but it’s also great to share a bottle with a friend who may not be into wine, but at least can appreciate the wine and the experience. Last night I opened an 85 Simi Cab, which I expected to be over the hill. Surprisingly it tasted fantastic, and paired really well with the braised short ribs I slow cooked over night. We both enjoyed the experience.

Good point Adam and aged Napa cabs are a great way to introduce someone to the joys of wine. Broad appeal to geeks and non geeks. Riesling too.

Paul, I’ve never noticed that there was a cuvee number on the bottles. I’ll have to be more observant. Back label?

Recent bottles had handwritten tags with cuvée info

I’ve got a bottle of the 1911 waiting to be popped - I love the Clouet wines, and have been waiting for the right reason to open this one. Your post is inspiring.

There’s a booklet that’s attached to the straw sleeve. See below.
IMAG0425.jpg
IMAG0424.jpg
IMAG0423.jpg

More photos of the booklet. note these notes are standard and haven’t changed, so they don’t actually reference this disgorgement or even this vintage blend.
IMAG0428.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg
IMAG0426.jpg

And, the dates. Note disgorgement is done on demand (in this case June of '14), when an importer needs it. Dude is super cagey about the blends.
IMAG0429.jpg

Hey Levi-
Next time you’re in, please say hello! Always nice to put a face with a name!
I’m there most nights (except Sundays), so if you’re looking for something off the beaten path, just ask;)