Dinner at Vie

We had dinner last week at Vie in Western Springs. Went to celebrate my nephews birthday and internship in the Silicon Valley. Dinner was fun and tasty. My wife and I both noticed a change in the food though. We both felt that the dinner was “heavier” for lack of a better word than in the past. Still everything was delicious and ultimately that’s all we can ask. Service was good and friendly.

• 1996 Emmanuel Rouget Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/25/2015)
    Bright red fruit with a touch of sous bois. Nicely balanced wine. Subdued tannin as well as acid here. For me the best village Vosne wine made. Nice length and mouthfeel.
  • 2002 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/25/2015)
    Starts with a hint of sherry on the nose. With time this blows off and provides a mature glass of vino. Apple and vinous chard flavor. Medium bodied with decent but not great length. I’ve had better bottles and it should be noted this was not bought on release.

Posted from CellarTracker

Vie is underrated, it has to be one of the best qpr in the Chicago area, its well worth a trip from the city

Two years ago we held our users forum near there and I arranged a private dinner for our clients at Vie. It was such an enjoyable process as they were superb to work with - and really quite reasonable for a very impressive meal. Our clients were more than happy and still talk about it. I haven’t been back for a bit though I get to Perennial often as I live a block away but I smile whenever I think of that meal.

Yes dinner was good. I had a fantastic pea salad. My entree was pork belly, carolina gold rice, fried green tomatoes and blood sausage. All with a remoulade. I am surprised to hear people commenting on the value. All the entree’s were $30 and over.

isn’t that value nowadays?

Maybe for a balla like you !

C’mon you set me up there. Had to take it.

do they still have free
corkage if the bottle is 10 years or older?

I agree that the food is different than it used to be, and definitely not for the better. The last time I was there they had a pierogi on the menu that was just awful, with thick, dense, chewy dough that was the polar opposite of fine dining.

Mel, when I was there about four months ago they told me that they’ve changed the corkage policy and now charge corkage on all wines, although they didn’t for me that night because I brought it up.

Overall, two moves in the wrong direction for Vie.

Was there about 9 months ago, corkage was free as i bought a 2002 Dom Ruinart.

Food was sublime with a mushroom Gnocchi dish being particularly memorable, it was $300 all in with tax and tip for three of us each having six course tasting menu so i thought it was good value given the quality and service

Now of course if its new people or chef then bets are off

We started with a pasta and gnocchi course. The pasta was excellent but i found the gnocchi a little above average. The gnocchi dish was excellent though.

They didn’t charge us corkage but didn’t say why. I did share with the staff. Personally I have no problem paying corkage and consider it a privilege.

We paid $300 for 4 not including tax. 3.5 courses.