Faiveley - Info on Producer and Buying Rec's Needed

Last fall, I posted a thread on the wines of Robert Chevillon from NSG as I have so little experience with Red Burgundy. The thread generated tons of great responses and info, and most importantly, I greatly enjoyed the 10 Bousselots and have three more sleeping sound with bright days ahead for sure.

The same merchant I bought the Chevillon from has tons and tons of Faiveley. Again, outside of Chablis, I have little to experience with red burgs, but the prices on most of the wines are within my range, and I’m eager to learn more.

The CT notes and critics reviews generally seem very positive (though the WA has a huge gap in coverage which I think is covered in a different thread), but my questions are: If I seem to dig (from a very small sample) RC wines, is this likely a producer I would enjoy as well? Is aging paramount for academic interest or is it a complete waste of money to pull corks within say the first 5 to 10 years? FYI - I am talking about PC’s, I am not quite at the level of chasing G. Crus just quite yet.

Also, here is list of wines that are within my budget and look intriguing. So far, jumping out at me is the 2002 Chaignots (get 13 years going off that bat) that has already had 13 years of development and the 2010 Les Porets for the simple reason that this vintage seems to have produced wonderful wines across the globe. But are there any other wines that really jump off the page as a must purchase? Here is the list:

2012 Faiveley Chambolle Musigny Beaux Bruns
2005 Faiveley NSG Aux Chaignots - Ex-Cellar
2009 Faiveley Mercurey Clos de Roy
2012 Faiveley Chambolle Musigny Charmes
2002 Faiveley NSG Aux Chaignots - Ex-Cellar
2005 Faiveley NSG Aux Chaignots - Ex-Cellar
2005 Faiveley NSG Aux Vignerondes
2002 Faiveley NSG Aux Vignerondes
2002 Faiveley NSG Les Damodes - Ex-Cellar
2010 Faiveley NSG Les Porets Saint Georges
2012 Faiveley NSG Les Porets St. Georges
2002 Faiveley NSG Les Porets St. Georges - Ex-Cellar
2012 Faiveley NSG Les Pruliers
2012 Faiveley Pommard Rugiens
2012 Faiveley Volnay Santenots

Again, I am a newbie on all matters red burg, but as the Chevllion thread showed me last year that the collective wisdom and experience here is a terrific resource.

Thanks in advance and Happy 4th!

Dale

If you can afford it I would buy all the 2002, 2005, & 2010 that you can buy.

Its worth noting that the Faiveley house style is much different from 2007 onwards. Prior to 2007 they are less open and more backwards and tannic when young. The current style is more friendly and open when young. Its almost like a completely different winery.

That’s very helpful when I put my orders together Berry, thank you.

So with my only point of reference being R. Chevillion in NSG, how does Faiveley compare generally speaking?

You might try one bottle of the early style and one later vintage to see what fits your pleasure. These will be very different wines, although from the same producer.

Faiveley is one of my go-to Burgundy producers. I’ve completely enjoyed every example I’ve consumed, which is mostly in the village and premier cru range. I agree with the comment about recent vintages being in a more approachable style early on.

I’d say they are both have a foot into the exuberant and lush side of the spectrum (without being overworked). As far as I can remember Chevillion exclusively gets grapes from Nuits St George whereas Faiveley gets grapes from up and down the cote so there is a bit more terrior diversity with Faiveley. Subjectively I think I have enjoyed more wines from Chevillion but Faiveley is pretty solid and certainly a good gateway producer into the region at this stage of their evolution.

One bit of advice to you: instead of loading up just a few producers in order to age their wines, I would buy small amounts from many different producers so that you can learn which producer makes wine in a style you like. The objective quality in Burgundy right now is very high so its less important to find the “good” producers but rather the ones you have “chemistry” with. For example there are some producers like bertheau, bize, chandon de briailles and Digioia-Royer that I really love that most burgundy drinkers could care less about. When first getting into any region, but with burgundy in particular, tasting widely is the best first step.

One last thing, if you like Chevillion and modern Faiveley check out Pousse d’Or and Mugneret-Gibourg. Mugneret-Gibourg in my opinion probably is the best producer within their style.

I’ve heard collectors say they’re frustrated with '05 Faiveley, lamenting how shut they are, that they may never open. So it could be a gamble with the '05’s with little to no appeal now or in the near future. With the recent change in style, most people seem to like Faiveley’s open, modern style now. See about buying some 2010 and 2012. They are a little riper and slicker than Chevillon’s in general. They’re perhaps better known for their Grand Cru’s, most notably their Corton (Clos des Corton), and Clos de Beze, but have some other notable wines in all price ranges. A little over $100 you can get NSG Les Saint Georges which is borderline Grand Cru level, albeit a little controversial. Their 2010 LSG was one of the more impressive young burgs I can recall though. Chambertin Cazetieres is another to look for. Below $100 there’s the Chambertin Aux Moines, Clos des Issarts, and other NSG 1ers on your list. Also like the Mercurey Framboisiere at around $25-30.

Don’t overlook the Mercurey. They can be very good. I haven’t had the 09 Clos du Roy but the 10 was super.

For me the style change was a huge step up. The older wines are tannic and rustic even when they are mature. They strike me as Burgundy for people who wanted Bordeaux. Don’t assume without tasting that the 02’s are 10 years closer to maturity. It may be the other way around.

+1

I don’t get excited anymore when I come across a modestly priced Faiveley from 1999 or 2002. The rusticity seems like a persistent trait even with a fair bit of age.

hope not. Faiveley Reds from the 60s enjoyed about 2000 were fabulous–really great wines.

Exactly. 30+ years. A recent 1993 CDC was impressive but pretty rough going.

In general, as you probably know, there is a hierarchy within the 1er crus, with some more or less consistently near grand cru quality, and some just barely worth their classification. I have had some really fine NSG Vignerondes, although I don’t remember if any were from Faiveley. This, like Boudots, is a NSG that borders Vosne Romanee, and the wines tend to have an extra nuance of elegance and spice that can make them really excellent - uh, when they are mature, that is. :slight_smile: Rugiens is another top 1er cru, more elegant than most Pommards. I think it is a higher-slope vineyard, i.e. higher elevation, and that may make the difference. Likewise Leroy’s Pommard Vignot also has more elegance than one might expect, and it too is a higher elevation Pommard. But then, Leroy makes very fine wines in general, and unfortunately, the whole world seems to know! :slight_smile:

The Vignerondes should be long term agers, so figure on saving a bottle or two for age 20 - 30. I haven’t had any recent Faiveley wines so I’m not familiar with the reported new style. The '12 Rugiens might therefore be more approachable earlier, though I would expect its inherent quality should also allow it to gain a lot from cellaring.

Note also that Faiveley, like many other of the negociants, owns some vineyards and makes what they label as “Domaine” wines. As with the other negociants, these usually show some extra quality, as they get to manage all aspects of growing, harvesting, fermenting, and elevage.

Don’t overlook other affordable negociant wines too, especially in better vintages. They don’t have the exalted reputations of the top domaines, so the demand world-wide is not as great and the prices can be much more reasonable. But in good vintages especially they can turn out some very nice wines.

I’ve been a long time Faiveley fan, pre and post 2007.

I think Les Cazetiers is consistently excellent. Bernard Herve included it in a tasting of mostly Grand Crus at the domaine - it’s one of his favorite Premier Crus obviously.

The 2008 is still on the market for $80. The 2009 is also very nice and not to much more.

The 02 Clos des Corton was very rustic and shut down last year while the 10 was very delicious and elegant. There have been numerous offers on the 02 for half price of the 10. It’s an easy pass every time.

I’m told they crushed it in 12 but all I have is a 3 some of Amoureuses which I haven’t tried yet. If the price was right, I would try the 12 Charmes and Porets.

Claude Kolm reviews some of the 2012s on his blog.

Have you had any 2001’s recently?

not on your list, but for future reference, DO NOT BUY 2004s.

The 2010s were fabulous.

Thank you all for the replys, I think it’s pretty clear to target the 10 and 12’s, probably just pick the vineyard with a coin toss as I can’t really compare anything at this early juncture.

Burghound could be a solution for information also. I think its worth the price of entry if only to be able to read his reviews within CT. Couple that with Wine-Searcher Pro and you have a good set of review and buying tools. Trouble with Burghound on some of the Faiveley is the review is from barrel so its early and the point range allows him to be, understandbly, not that committed. He does come back and bottle sample but this can take a while. In those cases I put some emphasis on recurring CT reviewers that I follow.