Few good wines

Have had mixed results with these older Mayacamas chards - but when they are on they really shine!

• 2001 Mayacamas Vineyards Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (7/3/2015)
    Little oxidation on night 1 but pretty nice. Night 2 this wine blossomed into a beaut! All oxidative notes disappeared and a very nice mature Chardonnay took its place. Soft and lovely. Actually lasted another night with same results.
  • 2007 Weingut Battenfeld-Spanier Riesling trocken - Germany, Rheinhessen (7/3/2015)
    Loved this wine in its youth and really hung in there with 8 years in cellar. First whiff after unscrewing bottle was a slight oxidation but blew off quickly. Had a scant amount of fruit but for the most part was citrusy, acidic and dry. Paired wonderfully with jerk chicken. Quality stuff.
  • 2009 Copain Syrah Les Voisins - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (7/3/2015)
    Really good on night 1 and continued to improve thru 3 nights. Fully balanced on night 1 and by third night had become voluptuous to say the least. Great wine.
  • 2013 Domaine de Sulauze Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence Pomponette Rose - France, Provence, Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence (7/3/2015)
    Really loving this dry, savory sign of summer with just a hint of fruit. Goes down like water. Perfect.
  • 2012 Copain Pinot Noir Monument Tree - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (7/2/2015)
    Absolutely hitting on all cylinders tonight - a true delight. Bright and lively. Clean, savory, restrained fruit, zippy. Wonderful.

Posted from CellarTracker

That 09 Les Voisins was really a wonderful wine, the tastiest youn Syrah I’ve had from the U.S. and possibly anywhere.

Does anyone know the mechanism by which oxidation blows off like that (the Mayacamas)? I’ve had that experience before. Is it that there is a certain (small) amount of material in the bottle that is prone to oxidization and that’s it? And what causes the aromas to go away with airing?

i have no idea - been through about a case of these older Mayacamas chards in last few years (thanks to a lead from our fearless leader) and most have had the same level of oxidation.

These Copain Les Voisins series of wines - both the syrah and pinots have been fantastic for me and pretty good qpr’s.

Tom, thanks for the notes on the Copains, man. Appreciate it. Happy 4th weekend, buddy.