Tulocay?

Anyone know if Cadmen (sp?) is still making wines? I have not really been following since he lost (?) his Casanova zin vineyard, which was excellent.

Yes, they are still making wine. Bill’s daughter Brie has moved home to start taking over the winery. A real Napa gem in my opinion.

I spent several hours with Bill in May. He is definitely still making wine and definitely still very much in love with his job.

He releases his wines later than most and makes less than 1,000 cases per year, closer to the 600-700 range if I remember correctly.

Also, he has a new source for Zin that is great, it’s a small vineyard near Calistoga. Not sure on vine age but it stuck out to me as very good.

Bill has to be pushing retirement age. I really liked his Cliff CS in the early to mid 90s. Thanks for the stroll…

I had never heard of Tulocay, but the 2004 Cabernet showed up at my local wine store on Long Island a couple of years ago. When I tasted it I felt like I’d been taken back in a time machine to 1974. Good stuff, especially for the price. Nothing else from Tulocay has found its way here since, but if it does I’m a buyer.

Fascinating website

That is good to hear. I really liked his Casanova Zin - especially the 2000, which I bought in magnum when I visited him. Unfortunatly, I believe the owner of that site ripped it up to plant cab. [soap.gif] [soap.gif]

Thanks for the tip. Definitely march to the beat of their own drummer. Quite refreshing.

[thankyou.gif]

Nope…Bill must be around 70, I would guess relative to when I first met him.
So the guy’s easily just hitting his stride!!! [snort.gif]
He was originally a tour guide at RobertMondavi, so he always has a fall-back job if he retires from Tulocay.
Tom